Question

FME 2013 DWG additions

• 16 November 2012
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

I was going throught the whats great in FME 2013 and came across this:

"Added new template files to (FME_HOME)\\autocad directory, both of which have AutoCAD standard line type definitions loaded in them (PR#36706)"

Does it means that FME 2013 will have the ability to create line types other that continous? as is the case with FME 2012.

Also will I be a able to set the dwg line type from input attributes stating the desired line type?

That would be great!

Cheers,

Itay

4 replies

Badge +2

Itay

I set different line styles in my DWG output based on line styles in my template file (both AutoCAD and custom line styles), by creating and setting attribute autocad_linetype

e.g.

autocad_linetype = ACAD_ISO08W100 

Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

Mark

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi Mark,

Thanks the answer, but I am trying to avoid the seed/template file.

Despite the fact that thats the way to go.....meaning thats how FME and Autocad work.

The reason for this is a client, who does not use Autocad and doesnt want to be depending on an external template file.

Cheers,

Itay
Userlevel 4
Badge +26
Does it means that FME 2013 will have the ability to create line types other that continous? as is the case with FME 2012.

Unfortunately not. The developers didn't favour adding this functionality to FME, as it seemed unnecessary when most people could use a line type that is defined in a template.

The one way around this is to define a linetype using the Edit Header tool. So you can use Tools > Edit Header in Workbench and add a definition there; for example:

ACAD_LINETYPE dash-dot autocad_textpict DASHDOT autocad_patternLength 1.0 0.5 -0.25 0 -0.25
 The syntax is probably defined in the Readers and Writers Manual.

Apologies for this. But very few people have raised this before, and most are happy enough to use templates. Hopefully the header workaround will be good enough for you here.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the header tip. I realise it is not the most effective way to create line type definitions, but it is a way!

Itay