Question

How to transform a raster into a cross-section-like 3D object (vertical plan) ?

• 23 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi everyone,

I have some seismic cross sections that are in bitmap format. I would like to transform them into vertical georeferenced cross sections, something like this (https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/295586/displaying-cross-sections-3d-volumes-in-qgis-3-x), and export them as 3D object if possible (I'm not sure wich format would be suited for that). I can create lines that represent the acquisition lines for those seismic images but I have no idea how to "hang" them vertically below the line. Does anyone has an idea if it's feasible in FME ? Thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @jeremielemarcha​,

If you want just a visualisation output, I think you could do this using extrusions textured with the bitmaps, then write them to 3D PDF, which can be viewed within Acrobat.

If you could give me a sample of a bitmap and an acquisition line, I would be happy to give it a try for you. If you don't want to share the data publicly, you can contact me directly: dave.campanas@safe.com.

Badge

Hi @daveatsafe​,

The best would be to be able to use it as a 3D object in other software (like CloudCompare) and to visualize it with other 3D objects or point cloud (typically DEM with the seismic profil hanging below). However the extrusion texture would be a good start, I just sent you the sample data.

Thanks

Jérémie