Question

PDF2D (PDFWriter): Unable to successfully read the font

• 11 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Using FME Desktop 2022: When attempting to write to pdf the following error occurs 'PDFWriter: Unable to successfully read the font from 'C:\\Windows\\Fonts/._TravelingTypewriter.ttf'. This font will not be available. Internal error code was '2''

FME has reading rights to this directory and the file exists. I haven't selected this particular font in the preceding PDFStyler-transformer.

Any ideas why this occurs?

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @arsi​, thanks for posting! Have you added this font on your system settings so its available in the Windows\\Fonts folder? You could also try using the TrueType Font Folders parameter on the writer to access the ttf file?

There is a possibility that the particular font being used is slightly different than the .ttf format that we support. If you're able to share the ttf file, I don't mind giving it a try! Hope this helps, Kailin Opalecyhuk

Hi Kailinat,

• Not sure what you mean with 'Have you added this font on your system settings'. Where can I (or our IT) do that?
  • TrueType Font Folders parameter is set to 'C:\\Windows\\Fonts' in the writer.
  • Added the file (added .log behind the extention as .ttf cannot be uploaded, remove .log behind the file to use it).
Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Is there any chance the file came from a drive (or network location) that can also be accessed by a machine running OS X, sometimes that leaves system files with names starting with ._

If it's on your Windows machine you can safely delete the ._ file

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @ares​, thanks for sharing the TTF file! It sounds like you're on the right track, but we need to find a way to import the TTF file into Windows/Fonts. I downloaded and tried adding it to C:\\Windows\\Fonts folder (by going to Start Menu > Font Settings > Add Fonts), but unfortunately:

imageI also tried @Hans van der Maarel​ suggestion of deleting the ._ in file name, but this did not change results. On the other hand, noticing the file is only 70 Bytes (where the smallest font file on my system is weighing in at 5.2kB). Did you perhaps send the wrong file, or some kind of shortcut to the file maybe?

Alternatively, have you been able to use this file anywhere else (eg. outside of FME)? Happy to help, Kailin

Thanks for the replies. I've asked our IT to check if they can remove or hide the dot_underscore-files as indeed they seem to be IOS related. I'll keep you posted.

The files were removed by our IT staff.

Unfortunately, when writing to Adobe Geospatial Pdf the translation log now first shows the line:

'Writer `PDF2D_1' of type `PDF2D' using group definition keyword `PDF2D_1_DEF'

And then the writer fails with a non specified:

'Error running translation'

Any leads?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

The files were removed by our IT staff.

Unfortunately, when writing to Adobe Geospatial Pdf the translation log now first shows the line:

'Writer `PDF2D_1' of type `PDF2D' using group definition keyword `PDF2D_1_DEF'

And then the writer fails with a non specified:

'Error running translation'

Any leads?

Hello there @ares​, sorry for the response delay, did you manage to use the traveling typewriter font in FME Form yet? If not, are you able to try re-sharing the problematic TTF file? I am unsure the proper file was shared earlier in the thread. Happy to help, Kailin