Question

Importing choice user parameter list without it sorting

• 28 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +5

Hi all,

I have created a Choice user parameter and am importing the contents of the choice list (or dropdown) from a spreadsheet.

The Import appears to decide itself how it wants to sort the contents of the list. Is there a way this sort can be turned off?

I have already sorted the contents of the spreadsheet into the order I want, but the import kind of ruins this order, and then I am forced to manually reorder with the up and down arrows. This isn't too bad with a very small list, but is pretty frustrating with a much larger list (which I have). Plus I know I am going to have to refresh the contents of this list semi-regularly in the future.

Does anyone know of a way around this?

thanks

keith

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Keith Hastings​, thanks for posting! I was able to reproduce the behaviour you described in 2022.2.5, as well as 2023.0, I'll file a ticket with development to see if we can include an option to preserve order on import, or something similar.

In the meantime, are you able to use the 'up' / 'down' arrows to re-sort the imported values? Apologies, I realize this could become semi-time consuming for larger datasets. Happy to help, Kailin.

Badge +5

Thanks Kailin.

Yes I have been able to use the up/down arrows to re-sort, although I was going slowly brain-dead there for a while, as I have a couple of lists around 50-60 records long 😅

It would definitely be nice to have a preserve input order option on this.

Thanks

Keith

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Thanks Kailin.

Yes I have been able to use the up/down arrows to re-sort, although I was going slowly brain-dead there for a while, as I have a couple of lists around 50-60 records long 😅

It would definitely be nice to have a preserve input order option on this.

Thanks

Keith

Hello @Keith Hastings​, happy to inform you FMEFORM-14264 has been resolved in the FME 2023.1 beta. You can find this on our Download Page. Import from dataset should no longer change the order of values / sort content! Best, Kailin.

Badge +5

thanks Kailin, great news.