Solved

Clarification on Backwards/Forwards Compatility with Betas Needed

Badge +1

I have the 2023 beta and authored a workspace that I would like to use in your latest official version (2022.2.5) which came out after. It looks like a number of updates that were in the beta are also in the official one. Before I try to open my beta workspace in 2022.2.5, I had a few questions:

• If the updated transformer versions match, should the prod version accept them?
  • What is the best way to back up or document a workspace to use in an earlier version?

Any insight is appreciated, and yes, I learned my lesson.

icon

Best answer by redgeographics 11 April 2023, 20:52

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

This is not official (because I don't work for Safe) but regarding your first question: if the transformer versions match the "old" version should have no problem running the workspace made in the "new" version.

As for your second question, there is unfortunately no way to save a workspace as an older version and this means that any workspace you open in an older version of Workbench will have the risk of losing the updated transformers. You'll get a warning about that, but that's it.

My advice would be:

• Do not save the workspace! Instead make a copy of it.
  • Open the original in the "new" Workbench and the copy in the "old" one so you can compare them.
  • Try and recreate the functionality. This may not always work, as the new version may have introduced new options
Badge +1

This is not official (because I don't work for Safe) but regarding your first question: if the transformer versions match the "old" version should have no problem running the workspace made in the "new" version.

As for your second question, there is unfortunately no way to save a workspace as an older version and this means that any workspace you open in an older version of Workbench will have the risk of losing the updated transformers. You'll get a warning about that, but that's it.

My advice would be:

• Do not save the workspace! Instead make a copy of it.
  • Open the original in the "new" Workbench and the copy in the "old" one so you can compare them.
  • Try and recreate the functionality. This may not always work, as the new version may have introduced new options

OK, that is what I hoped would be the case for transformer versions. I thought there might be a way to export transformer settings but your recommendation will work. Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

OK, that is what I hoped would be the case for transformer versions. I thought there might be a way to export transformer settings but your recommendation will work. Thanks!

It's been a while since I last looked into this, but I think this may work: if you create a summary annotation and then edit and detatch it from the transformer it will remain in the workspace when it's opened in the old version and the transformer disappears. It's a little bit of help I guess.

Badge +1

Oh yeah, that could work! It would also help me remember what the missing transformer was. Awesome tip!