Question

changes made to dgn file is not noticed by reader when running the workspace

I have a workspace which takes a dgn file(A) and matches it to another dgn file (B).

dgn file (A) contains little changes everythime I have to run the workspace. These changes need to be braught to the second dgn file (B), and this workspace automatically (often succesfully) does that.

However, if I have run this workspace once, and then changed something to the first dgn (A), the reader will not automatically load the new data in dgn file (A).

I dont know how to fix this, obviously I dont want to delete the reader and put a new one back everytime a small change is made.

Is there anyway to make the reader completely reload the data everytime I run the workspace?

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

My guess this is caused by FeatureCaching. Workbench can't know the file is changed, so you have to force to read it again. Click the down arrow next to the Run button and choose "Rerun Entire Workspace".

The "Run From This" button above the Reader probably works as well, which will be quicker as not all FeatureCaches have to run again.

If this is not what you need, you probably are adding new levels and looking for those to appear. You can then either update the feature types (Readers --> Update Feature Types) or use a Generic output where all features from all levels leave the same generic outputport.

My guess this is caused by FeatureCaching. Workbench can't know the file is changed, so you have to force to read it again. Click the down arrow next to the Run button and choose "Rerun Entire Workspace".

The "Run From This" button above the Reader probably works as well, which will be quicker as not all FeatureCaches have to run again.

If this is not what you need, you probably are adding new levels and looking for those to appear. You can then either update the feature types (Readers --> Update Feature Types) or use a Generic output where all features from all levels leave the same generic outputport.

Yes that does the trick! thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

A couple of similar questions have come up recently.... I wonder if it would be possible for the featurecaching component to also store the last modified data (of file based formats - GDB, SHP, DWG etc) and each time the workbench is run with caching, do a quick check to see if the current modified data matches what FME has recorded. If it doesn't match, alert the user that the source data might've changed....

There are flaws to the above.... but could be an interesting piece of functionality