Question

No error message when having a typo in XSD driven XML Writer.

• 2 March 2023
  • 1 reply

When working with XSD Driven XML Writer I noticed that I don't get an error message when I have a typo in the feature_type name or attribute name. It simply does not add it to the output. And this makes it very difficult to find bugs and problems.

Also the validation of the XML ends with a message that "something went wrong". But no details where and what.

Is it possible to list all items that could not be found in the XSD?

Maybe some setting in the FME Desktop general settings?

Thanks.

1 reply

Badge +6

Thanks for your question about using the XSD XML Writer. Typically while rather powerful, this reader / writer does require some degree of understanding of the underlying XML application schema structure in order to configure it correctly. Still, we welcome your feedback and we can always try to improve our error / warning logs to help improve the user experience.

In this case, the user normally gets the feature type and attribute names directly from the application schema using the tree control. Are you using 'import feature types' and selecting the appropriate application schema, or are you typing in the feature type names manually.

I do like the idea of listing all the feature types that were not found in the application schema so I will file an enhancement request for that. If you would like more detailed logging or help configuring the writer for your specific use case please file a support request and send us your workspace, log and sample data.