Question

Hi, new to FME and trying to move from OSLoader to FME for the automation of the OS Mastermap products to PostGIS. Being a common task, are any premade models out there?

• 24 February 2023
  • 8 replies

Using my basic FME skills, I've been able to automate the download of the OS Mastermap Topographic Area, Line and Point but am struggling over how to maintain the changehistory feature collection type which FME wants to insert a single value.

Being a common task amongst many GIS users, I would hope there are some models out there....?

8 replies

Badge +9

Hi

I am not sure i quite follow what you want to do but i have written FME Workbenches for loading and manipulating most of the Ordnance Survey data including the CSV daily updates.

Again it depends what you want to do but if you use the GML data you would need to put a list indexer into you flow with the list set to changehistory,(plus list indexers for descriptive term, group and theme) and the list index to copy set to -1, followed by an attribute remover to remove the lists.

Have you thought about just taking the data as Geopackage, the the OS have done all the conversion for you, and you can just load it in...

Andy

Hi,

We are using the COU and only have access to the GML. I need to move this from the current system over to FME to make it more reliable. I am confused as to why there are no OOB models for the OS products as it would appear to be quite complicated.

I'll give the list indexer a go, might be what I am missing!

Badge +9

Hi,

We are using the COU and only have access to the GML. I need to move this from the current system over to FME to make it more reliable. I am confused as to why there are no OOB models for the OS products as it would appear to be quite complicated.

I'll give the list indexer a go, might be what I am missing!

No problem, let me know how you get on, or drop me your email and i can send you what i have for the loading etc..

No problem, let me know how you get on, or drop me your email and i can send you what i have for the loading etc..

Just tried the ListIndexer....looks like a way forward, do you mind me asking how you use it with your OSMM translation? Do you set up a separate ListIndexer for each level of changehistory?

Whats the best way to share my email safely on here? A screenshot of the listindexer(s) in the model would be a huge help!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @dragons8mycat​, thanks for posting to the FME Community! Sorry to hear you're having issues in FME thus far, hopefully we can lend a hand. Would you be able to submit a support case with us? I think it may be helpful to see the workspace and data directly. Happy to help, Kailin

Badge +9

IF you click on my profile name the email address should be shown in there...

The email doesn't appear, makes sense for it to be hidden on the community forum.

I have raised a support ticket about this (OS Mastermap data) as I am not sure that FME can read/write to array/collection formats especially to PostGIS, I'd be interested to see your workspace to see how you have addressed this.

BTW, thanks for all the help, really nice to hear a voice out there in the silence ;)

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello, posting an update here! We managed to resolve @dragons8mycat​'s issues with a combination of transformers and the postGIS writer. Firstly, we needed to use ListConcatenator's to combine all list elements for each changehistory field (this will concatenate all list elements into a single attribute). We used a seperate ListConcatenator for each changehistory field we wanted to preserve. Then, to write arrays using FME's PostGIS writer, we need to add {} around the concatenated list values in an AttributeCreator. For example, the 'Value' field in the AttributeCreator would look something like '{@Value(example)}'.

imageThis allowed us to maintain the changehistory feature collection information for each feature. Best, Kailin.