Question

ECW file not resulting in the correct coordinate system when using ESRI Reprojector

• 9 February 2023
  • 1 reply

I am trying to project a .ecw file from LL WGS84 to a custom local coordinate system. Using the ESRI reprojector I am able to select the custom output coordinate system (it is Nad27 UTM feet) and the proper geographic transformation. The log file of the result seems to indicate that the process is using the correct parameters, however the resulting dataset is UTM meters and has an EPSG 26717 code (even though I explicitly set the parameter to 'Never use EPSG code' for the projection). It seems to always revert to ecw format of 2 so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Many thanks for any assistance.

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @jeremyolynik74​,

I think that FME is writing the correct ECW version but the version is being incorrectly reported by the GeoCompresser Viewer app. However, FME does have a problem writing out NAD 27 UTM Feet coordinate systems. It appears that the unit is not being written to the ECW file, so most ECW readers assume the unit to be meters, since that is the commonest UTM unit. If you were to use a NAD 27 State Plane coordinate system, you would get the correct foot unit, since that is the common unit for those coordinate systems.

I have created a problem report for the incorrect unit writing (FMEENGINE-76669), and will notify you once it is fixed.