Question

How can I optimize CityGML LoD2 to Cesium 3D Tiles Transformation?

• 9 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Dear FME community,

we are working on developing a 3D Web application to visualize 3D Buildings (CityGML LoD2) and other 3D assets in CesiumIon/ CesiumJS.

We have been able to create LoD1 and LoD2 3D Tiles that we can use in the application but the 3D Tiles output is very data intensive and really slows down the rendering in our application tremendously. That leads us to think that there might be something other optimizations we can undertake to improve our workspaces for better 3D Tiles creation that can be streamed better in Cesium (e.g. cascading structure of 3D Tiles or splitting of large tiles into smaller chunks for optimized web rendering).

Furthermore, we are having problems with successfully creating 3D Tiles in LoD2. We would like to create building solids that are selectable and have all the desired attributes attached to it instead of having the surfaces being individually selectable.

I have attached 3 workspaces that we are currently working with.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone that understands CityGML and 3D Tiles better to give us some suggestions on how to improve our 3D Tiles output.

Thank you

Jan

2 replies

Badge +22

Probably not the answer you want, but we found that the FME produced 3DTiles to be very heavy compared to processing the data with Cesium 3D Tiling Pipeline (3D Buildings Tiler).

Thanks a lot for the reply. So would you generally recommend using the Cesium 3D Tiling Pipeline instead, especially when it comes to large datasets?