Solved

Does FTPCaller provide a method for using OpenSSH key files?

• 1 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi There, so our IT Department is now implementing a 'no password' policy with using our organization's (s)ftp sites. WinSCP does provide a method to use the key file generated by OpenSSH (please see attached screengrab)...but I can not see a method for leveraging this file in FME's FTPCaller...is this true? (so no way to do this in FME?). Thanks for any thoughts here.

icon

Best answer by debbiatsafe 1 February 2023, 02:38

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Hello @louielou1234

I would recommend taking a look at the following article https://community.safe.com/s/article/Using-a-private-SSH-key-with-FTPCaller-to-authenticate-an-SFTP-Connection-on-FME-Server-and-FME-Desktop 

The private SSH key in your screenshot is a .ppk, which means it is a Putty Private Key (PPK). So you would use Putty's authentication agent, Pageant, instead of OpenSSH utilities. OpenSSH private keys do not have a file extension. I hope this information helps.

Badge

Yep--the instructions and especially the attached sample Workbench was super helpful and I got everything working now. Thanks very much!!

Badge

Hello @louielou1234

I would recommend taking a look at the following article https://community.safe.com/s/article/Using-a-private-SSH-key-with-FTPCaller-to-authenticate-an-SFTP-Connection-on-FME-Server-and-FME-Desktop 

The private SSH key in your screenshot is a .ppk, which means it is a Putty Private Key (PPK). So you would use Putty's authentication agent, Pageant, instead of OpenSSH utilities. OpenSSH private keys do not have a file extension. I hope this information helps.

Hi Debbiatsafe again,

Sooo... it turns out that I am able to run the workbench in FME for Desktop (2022.1) just fine and great, but unfortunately when I try to run it from FME for Server (FME Server 2022.1.2 Build 22627 ) I get the error: 'FTP/FTPS/SFTP transfer error: Login denied'. --I did try changing some parameters (like 'Passive' to 'Active' Mode) but still no luck :( ....one note might be that FME Server now runs under my personal Active Directory domain account --as that was the only way we could get FME Server to work with ArcPro 3.x operations due to the new Named-User licensing model ESRI now requires....and I mention this because when I created the SSH Key Files with Putty I was logged into the machine that we run FME Server from as me... Any thoughts or troubleshooting tips would be super appreciated! Thanks very much again. Louie.

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Hi Debbiatsafe again,

Sooo... it turns out that I am able to run the workbench in FME for Desktop (2022.1) just fine and great, but unfortunately when I try to run it from FME for Server (FME Server 2022.1.2 Build 22627 ) I get the error: 'FTP/FTPS/SFTP transfer error: Login denied'.  --I did try changing some parameters (like 'Passive' to 'Active' Mode) but still no luck  :( ....one note might be that FME Server now runs under my personal Active Directory domain account --as that was the only way we could get FME Server to work with ArcPro 3.x  operations due to the new Named-User licensing model ESRI now requires....and I mention this because when I created the SSH Key Files with Putty I was logged into the machine that we run FME Server from as me...  Any thoughts or troubleshooting tips would be super appreciated! Thanks very much again. Louie.

Hello @louielou1234​ 

Thanks for the screenshot. The key in the screenshot looks more like a public key instead of a PuTTY private key. When viewed In a text editor, a PuTTY private key should start with:

PuTTY-User-Key-File-2: ssh-rsa
Encryption: aes256-cbc
Comment: ...

Are you able to confirm you are using the same private key on Desktop and Server? 

In addition,  the SSH key pair cannot be generated with a passphrase as there is no way to automate entering the passphrase on FME Server.