Question

Shapefile generated in FME doesn't work in lastools

• 10 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +4

Hi,

Does anyone know why a shapefile generated in FME would not work in lastools? I am using lastools to clip a point cloud using a buffer from FME but it can't read the shapefile. I don't know why it is invalid, only that my command line has the following errorimageAny help would be appreciated

Thanks

6 replies

Badge +3

try ...give the specific files name. no wildcard *.shp.

Maybe it works.

Badge +4

try ...give the specific files name. no wildcard *.shp.

Maybe it works.

Thanks for the reply f.kemminje. I did try that before I asked. There's probably some random little thing that lastools doesn't like. Just not sure what

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

Have you tried opening the shapefile in another application? Any chance you can share it here?

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Can the shapefile be read by ArcGIS? If so then lastools requires a non-standard shapefile. There are some exceptions - see https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/shapefile/troubleshooting.htm

Badge +4

Update, I can get it to work if I use a geometry validator before I write it. Use all settings (but remove the two OCG checks), turn on checking for self intersecting, and I also remove vertexes closer than 0.1m (but I don't think you need this last step). I also dissolved before the validator in one case

Badge +4

Update, I can get it to work if I use a geometry validator before I write it. Use all settings (but remove the two OCG checks), turn on checking for self intersecting, and I also remove vertexes closer than 0.1m (but I don't think you need this last step). I also dissolved before the validator in one case

Second update, I had this problem again for a different reason. This time it was fixed by having the Geometry in the shapefile write set to the appropriate type. Shape_polyline for my new case but probably shape_polygon for the case of this question