Question

Getting an error when passing an empty value to the Published File/URL parameter

I am updating an older FME script (2019) to 2022.1, and am getting an error when passing an empty value to the published File/URL parameter, even though it has not been checked as Required.

The error message is: No CSV2 dataset name was specified (couldn't find a value for `R_2_DATASET' or `CSV2_DATASET').

This seems to be a new issue with 2022.1 version, as I am updating the script from 2019 version. Is there a way around it?

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @zoebasrak​, thanks for posting! This is interesting. May I ask what the published parameter is being used for? (eg. where is it being used in the workspace?). It looks like the user parameter is being passed as an output file name.

May I also ask what build of FME 2022.1 you're using? This can be found in FME Workbench > Help > About FME Workbench. Would you be able to share a screenshot of how your parameter is set up? Happy to help, Kailin.

Hello @zoebasrak​, thanks for posting! This is interesting. May I ask what the published parameter is being used for? (eg. where is it being used in the workspace?). It looks like the user parameter is being passed as an output file name.

May I also ask what build of FME 2022.1 you're using? This can be found in FME Workbench > Help > About FME Workbench. Would you be able to share a screenshot of how your parameter is set up? Happy to help, Kailin.

Hi Kailin,

thank you for your reply.

FME(R) 2022.1.0.0 (20220704 - Build 22618 - WIN64) 

I'm attaching the sample workspace, let me know if you can reproduce the error.

Thanks,

zoe

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @zoebasrak​, thanks for sharing the workspace. I had a look in 2022.1 and 2022.2. 

I suspect this is less of an issue with the user parameter, and more an issue with the SchemaMapper! Even though the user parameter isn't configured as 'Required', I believe the SchemaMapper does require a working value (dataset). 

If we enable feature caching mode and do a partial run to the Tester  (eg. 'HasSchemaMap'), the error is not shown in the log. As soon as we run the entire workspace, including the SchemaMapper portion: 

No CSV2 dataset name was specified (couldn't find a value for `R_1_DATASET' or `CSV2_DATASET')

The SchemaMapper cannot find a dataset to use, because one has not been supplied. Similar behaviour can be seen in the SchemaMapper transformer itself while trying to use the empty user parameter: 

To triple check this, I copied your user parameter to another workspace containing only a Creator, the translation ran successfully. I hope this makes senes! Let me know if you have any further questions. Happy to help, Kailin.

Thanks for troubleshooting further!

But this is odd. Even though the Tester will prevent SchemaMapper to get activated when there is no parameter, the error persists?

In some cases we will have a parameter to pass, but in some cases we will not, hence the Tester (HasSchemaMap) which should allow for the workflow to bypass the SchemaMapper when there is no parameter to pass.

What would you suggest as a way around it?

zoe

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Thanks for troubleshooting further!

But this is odd. Even though the Tester will prevent SchemaMapper to get activated when there is no parameter, the error persists?

In some cases we will have a parameter to pass, but in some cases we will not, hence the Tester (HasSchemaMap) which should allow for the workflow to bypass the SchemaMapper when there is no parameter to pass.

What would you suggest as a way around it?

zoe

Hello @zoebasrak​, hmm.. it looks like you might've stumbled upon a regression. I've filed a bug with our development team to have this addressed (FMEENGINE-75984). In the meantime, it looks like this works as expected in FME 2021.2, which should be available on our downloads page.

I've also added a note to update this thread when a solution is available! Hope this doesn't cause too much inconveience for you! Thanks again for bringing this to our attention! Best, Kailin.

Hello @zoebasrak​, hmm.. it looks like you might've stumbled upon a regression. I've filed a bug with our development team to have this addressed (FMEENGINE-75984). In the meantime, it looks like this works as expected in FME 2021.2, which should be available on our downloads page.

I've also added a note to update this thread when a solution is available! Hope this doesn't cause too much inconveience for you! Thanks again for bringing this to our attention! Best, Kailin.

Thanks Kailin!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @zoebasrak​, happy to inform you that FMEENGINE-75984 has been resolved in FME 2023.0 b23235, you can find this on our Downloads Page 😊 Happy to help, Kailin.

Excellent news! Thanks Kailin!

@kailinatsafe​  Is this issue really fixed in the 2021.2 version? I still see the problem with this version. My teammate has raised this bug recently. Can someone help us?

Here is the ticket link:

https://community.safe.com/s/question/0D5Dm00000LCo3PKAT/no-schema-dataset-name-was-specified-while-running-fme-script-in-new-fme-version

Please let us know the workaround as well.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @kamal.kant​, Unfortunately I am unsure the fix will be applied to FME 2021.2. It looks like this fix was only applied for 2023.0 (b23235+). Are you able to upgrade to test this if this resolves the issue? Might be a tricky one to workaround. Happy to help, Kailin.

@kailinatsafe​ Let me see.