Question

FME Server CPU (Dynamic Engines) ≈ FME Cloud?

• 15 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +7

As far as I understood from the documentation, the self-hosted FME Server (installed on my own server) can be also licensed by CPU (Dynamic Engines)?

That means that I have a full control and security (especially in terms of data privacy, etc) of FME Server like self-hosted FME Server with standard engine(s), however in terms of license it acts similar to FME Cloud?

So if both questions are correct then the difference between self-hosted FME Server licensed by standard engine(s) and self-hosted FME Server licensed by CPU (dynamic engines) in regards to license is that the client pays for an extra standard engine only once, but for CPU Usage as long it in hours takes - continuous payment?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

An FME Server with CPU licensing (Dynamic engines) is not exactly the same as FME Cloud. The CPU licensing credits are only used when there's actual jobs running, whereas the FME Cloud is being charged either per year or, if you do it on demand, per hour that the the machine is on, regardless of whether or not it's actually running jobs.

A standard engine is indeed only paid once (and then there's the annual maintenance), CPU usage is processing time that you're buying. Licensing-wise there is no limit to the number of engines you can have running with CPU licensing, which means it's best used to deal with peaks of high demand. Standard engines are better when the demand is relatively stable over time.

Badge +7

An FME Server with CPU licensing (Dynamic engines) is not exactly the same as FME Cloud. The CPU licensing credits are only used when there's actual jobs running, whereas the FME Cloud is being charged either per year or, if you do it on demand, per hour that the the machine is on, regardless of whether or not it's actually running jobs.

A standard engine is indeed only paid once (and then there's the annual maintenance), CPU usage is processing time that you're buying. Licensing-wise there is no limit to the number of engines you can have running with CPU licensing, which means it's best used to deal with peaks of high demand. Standard engines are better when the demand is relatively stable over time.

OK, thanks. But in regards to system requirements there is no difference between self-hosted FME Server standard engine(s) and self-hosted FME Server with dynamic engines, right?

For both installations we have to estimate the traffic i.e number of tasks being executed at the same time and take care of CPUs etc (https://community.safe.com/s/article/FME-Server-Host-System-Sizing) equally?

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

OK, thanks. But in regards to system requirements there is no difference between self-hosted FME Server standard engine(s) and self-hosted FME Server with dynamic engines, right?

For both installations we have to estimate the traffic i.e number of tasks being executed at the same time and take care of CPUs etc (https://community.safe.com/s/article/FME-Server-Host-System-Sizing) equally?

Yes, they're identical in that regard.