Question

Workspace Reader

• 15 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

I have a couple of reasonably complex workspace that I have used the Worskpace reader to extract some data from. I have attached the image below to show where I am currently at. I have all the data but my question is "WHAT NOW", how do I use this data to it's best, and to explain what is going on in the workspace to the average person so it is understandable, and out put in a user friendly format.

I thought someone may have some examples of what they did and how they used their data as documentation. I have watched the Video from tensing which was good but it really doesn't explain the how and final documents very well. Thank You.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

From my point of view, the effort to write a short 1-2 pager on what the workspace is doing is going to be much less effort than building a process to do that.

What you're not going to get out of reading the transformers is "Why is the process doing this?" - your going to get a very verbose output instead. A manually written document is going to be able to give much better and clearer context to the process. And if you're looking to give this document to someone who has no/limited FME knowledge you're going to want to talk about the process at a much higher level. The reader won't know/care/understand the difference between an AttributeCreator and an AttributeManager - all they need to know is you've added a new attribute

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

From my point of view, the effort to write a short 1-2 pager on what the workspace is doing is going to be much less effort than building a process to do that.

What you're not going to get out of reading the transformers is "Why is the process doing this?" - your going to get a very verbose output instead. A manually written document is going to be able to give much better and clearer context to the process. And if you're looking to give this document to someone who has no/limited FME knowledge you're going to want to talk about the process at a much higher level. The reader won't know/care/understand the difference between an AttributeCreator and an AttributeManager - all they need to know is you've added a new attribute

Further to that, if this is targeted towards a more experience FME User, having annotations and bookmarks in the workbench and passing that to the other user is going to be a much better and clearer method of documentation