Solved

I have a dynamic workflow that takes files and loads them into postGIS using FeatureWriter. I am having issues with datasets that contain date fields with some null values resulting in features getting skipped.

• 23 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

The writer seems to be trying to write '00000000' for these features rather than leaving it as null

Is there a way to stop this behaviour? In a standard workbench I could set a default value but it feels like I shouldn't need to do that as postgres can handle null values in date fields and I don't know how I could change the values as it's a dynamic schema.

Errors in log:

Value of attribute 'createdate' could not be converted to type 'date'. Feature will be logged and skipped

Attribute(string: UTF-8)      : `CREATEDATE' has value `00000000'

---

Schema definition for field:

attribute{8}.fme_data_type fme_date

attribute{8}.name CREATEDATE

attribute{8}.native_data_type date

The next line is missing for features that do not have a value:

CREATEDATE 20031118

icon

Best answer by ebygomm 21 December 2022, 12:40

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

Are you sure that before the writer the value of CREATEDATE is null and not 00000000 ?

I have no issue writing nulls to a postgres date field

Badge

Thanks for you're comment, you are indeed correct the values are 00000000 before they go into the writer, the issue seems to be with the Shapefile reader as the values are null in the dataset when viewed in QGIS but are being padded out when read in FME:

NEXTTEST (string: UTF-8) 00000000

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

Thanks for you're comment, you are indeed correct the values are 00000000 before they go into the writer, the issue seems to be with the Shapefile reader as the values are null in the dataset when viewed in QGIS but are being padded out when read in FME:

NEXTTEST (string: UTF-8) 00000000

Shapefiles don't officially support null values which is why you don't see them as nulls. See

https://community.safe.com/s/question/0D54Q00008OcM97SAF/interpretation-empty-attribute-shape

Badge

Shapefiles don't officially support null values which is why you don't see them as nulls. See

https://community.safe.com/s/question/0D54Q00008OcM97SAF/interpretation-empty-attribute-shape

Thanks very much, that makes sense now.​