Question

How to uninstall FME 2020.0 when it asks for the installer that I don't have anymore?

• 19 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

Via "Add or Remove programs" I select FME Desktop 2020.0 and click Uninstall.

This message appears:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. 

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package fme-desktop-2020.0.2-b20232-win-x64.msi in the box below."

Unfortunately I can't find the installer anywhere, so I can't uninstall. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can uninstall FME 2020.0?

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi @Laurens Kusse​, sorry to hear you're running into this issue! Here's the download link for the installation package for your build of FME 2020.0.2-b20232: https://downloads.safe.com/fme/2020/fme-desktop-2020.0.2-b20232-win-x64.msi

If you're not able to get it working with that , I believe you may be able to workaround this by uninstalling FME from the command line. Please follow my steps below and let me know if this works for you:

On Windows, you can use the following steps to uninstall FME silently through Command Line:

Open Command Prompt as Administrator (this is important otherwise the uninstall won't run)

To get a list of product names installed on your machine enter the following: 

wmic product get name

Once you've figured out what your product name is, you can uninstall it by entering the following:

wmic product where name="<your product name here>" call uninstall

For example, my product name is FME Desktop 2022.0 (Build 22303 - win64), so the correct command to input would look like the following: 

wmic product where name="FME Desktop 2022.0 (Build 22303 - win64)" call uninstall

If everything has run correctly, you will get a that the command prompt is Executing the uninstall. Once it has finished you will get a message saying ReturnValue=0 which means the uninstall was successful.

Badge

Hi @danminneyatsaf​ ,

Thank you for the response. But I think this is sort of the same as trying to uninstall via the Windows GUI.

The ReturnValue was 1612 and that seems to mean:  The installation source for this product is not available.

This is what I did and what the response was:

C:\\Windows\\system32>wmic product where name="FME Desktop 2020.0.2 (Build 20232 - win64)" call uninstall

Executing (\\\\servername\\ROOT\\CIMV2:Win32_Product.IdentifyingNumber="{6C067858-6BF5-1014-82D4-85909F9D1F0B}",Name="FME Desktop 2020.0.2 (Build 20232 - win64)",Version="7.39.20232")->Uninstall()

Method execution successful.

Out Parameters:

instance of __PARAMETERS

{

ReturnValue = 1612;

};

I wonder if I can try to update to a newer version and then try to uninstall. Complicating factor is that there already is a newer version on that server. And that version is used in some Vicrea software. But I think I'll ask Vicrea about this issue.

If you have more ideas I'm happy to hear them!

Badge

Hi @danminneyatsaf​ ,

Thank you for the response. But I think this is sort of the same as trying to uninstall via the Windows GUI.

The ReturnValue was 1612 and that seems to mean:  The installation source for this product is not available.

This is what I did and what the response was:

C:\\Windows\\system32>wmic product where name="FME Desktop 2020.0.2 (Build 20232 - win64)" call uninstall

Executing (\\\\servername\\ROOT\\CIMV2:Win32_Product.IdentifyingNumber="{6C067858-6BF5-1014-82D4-85909F9D1F0B}",Name="FME Desktop 2020.0.2 (Build 20232 - win64)",Version="7.39.20232")->Uninstall()

Method execution successful.

Out Parameters:

instance of __PARAMETERS

{

ReturnValue = 1612;

};

I wonder if I can try to update to a newer version and then try to uninstall. Complicating factor is that there already is a newer version on that server. And that version is used in some Vicrea software. But I think I'll ask Vicrea about this issue.

If you have more ideas I'm happy to hear them!

I tried to install a newer version of FME at the same location. FME detects the old version and asks if I want to uninstall it. When I choose Yes, the installer fails. Probably because it can't uninstall the old FME version.

Badge

Can Safe maybe make this installer available: fme-desktop-2020.0.2-b20232-win-x64.msi ?

I think that could solve the issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Can Safe maybe make this installer available: fme-desktop-2020.0.2-b20232-win-x64.msi ?

I think that could solve the issue.

@Laurens Kusse​ you can download the installer for fme-desktop-2020.0.2-b20232-win-x64.msi using this link here: https://downloads.safe.com/fme/2020/fme-desktop-2020.0.2-b20232-win-x64.msi

Let me know if you were looking for something else. Hope this helps!

Badge

Thank you!

I still had some trouble removing it, because now I got the notification that I had to be administrator to remove it. I'm pretty sure I am administrator on that machine.

I tried starting appwiz.cmp with "Run as Administrator". But I still got the message.

Finally I started the Command Prompt with Run as Administrator and followed your earlier instructions using wmic. And that worked!

Thanks again for your help.