Question

Is there a better method to update my data into ArcGIS Online?

• 13 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +5

Hello,

I wish to copy polygon data from SQL DB to ArcGIS Online. The only way I have found that seems to work is in attached image. Having to delete the data before I can insert the update seems incorrect albeit appears to work.

I assume there is a better way?

Thank you

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Try a ChangeDetector, so only the changes need to write out. Your db and agol features will need to have the same OBJECTID, to match between original and revised to detect if something has changed.

imageThe ChangeDetector will add an attribute of fme_db_operation which tells the writer whether to Insert, Update, or Delete, or do nothing because the data has not changed since the last time the process ran. Updates and Deletes are keyed on the OBJECTID

Badge +5

Try a ChangeDetector, so only the changes need to write out. Your db and agol features will need to have the same OBJECTID, to match between original and revised to detect if something has changed.

imageThe ChangeDetector will add an attribute of fme_db_operation which tells the writer whether to Insert, Update, or Delete, or do nothing because the data has not changed since the last time the process ran. Updates and Deletes are keyed on the OBJECTID

Thanks @ctredinnick​ I'm not sure OBJECTID would work however? I have a separate FME task that runs a weekly update of the data into the SQL DB. As part of the process I have a Counter that fetches the last OBJECTID in the SQL DB then +1. Therefore the OBJECTID's in SQL would be different every week. My FME experience is very limited.

Badge +2

@chris_acc​ You should be able to use Insert with Truncate existing. This will be much faster than Delete.