Question

What would be the correct tool for removing data from from a file while maintaining the columns it came in?

• 6 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

Quick a simple question but one that has stumped me.

I am trying to remove all of the data that has been pulled into FME from a shpfile on AGOL.

The aim is to later replace this removed data with new data in same shpfile before reuploading this to AGOL.

So I was wondering whether there was a tool that was able to be used just to remove the data while leaving the columns itself.

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

You can use the NullAttributeMapper with regex expression .+ in the 'Or if attribute value contains regex' parameter. Then set the Map to Null.image

Badge

You can use the NullAttributeMapper with regex expression .+ in the 'Or if attribute value contains regex' parameter. Then set the Map to Null.image

Hey!

Thank you for the repsonse. great tool.

Saying that it only seems to be completing this for some of the columns, does this tool only apply to certain types of data?

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

Hey!

Saying that it only seems to be completing this for some of the columns, does this tool only apply to certain types of data?

Did you choose all the attributes you want to be null in the 'Selected Attributes' parameter?

Badge

Hey!

Yes I have selected "all attributes" within the tool

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

Hey!

That is odd. What happens if you change that back Selected Attributes, and then manually select the attributes?

Badge

Hey!

Sadly it does the same thing. I guess it could be due to something in the shpfile thats uneditable

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

The input format shouldn't matter once it's read. As a work-around, you could use an AttributeManager instead but you will need to manually set the value to <null>. Although that could be tedious depending on the number of attributes you have.

Badge

The input format shouldn't matter once it's read. As a work-around, you could use an AttributeManager instead but you will need to manually set the value to <null>. Although that could be tedious depending on the number of attributes you have.

Yeah is an odd one. Anyway I have set up the AttributeManager and its running it pefectlly. Thank you for the help!