Solved

HTTPCaller control time out length (not for the connection)

• 29 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello, fellow FME-ers! 

I have a question for you. When I use the HTTPCaller I want to send a request and then control the time out length before I receive an answer. From what my college and I can read in the documentation there is no way to do this?

icon

Best answer by redgeographics 29 September 2022, 13:21

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Not sure if this is what you mean, but you can set the transfer timeout length as well as the connection timeout length. See under HTTP Client Options in the HTTPCaller parameters.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

If the server you're making the request to times out before FME does, then there is no way you can override that. Otherwise, as @Hans van der Maarel​ said, you can set the timeout length for FME in the transformer

Badge +20

You have this option. And if you set it to 0 (zero) it will wait indefinitely.

HTTPCaller Connection Timeout

I'm working with @peteralstorp​ on this and I will try to clearify the datails:

FME sends a http request to a power automate cloud flow and waits for the flow output as a response.

If the flow finishes under 90 s everything works as i should but if it takes longer the FME script will fail with timeout. Also the response action in the flow will fail with:

"the client application timed out waiting for a response from service. This means that workflow took longer to respond than the alloted timeout value. The connection maintained between the client application and service will be closed and client application will get an HTTP status code 504 Gateway Timeout."

If I understand the FME docs correctly the "Connection Timeuot Length" is the time for creating the connection, not the waiting time for a respons.

This parameter can be used to set a timeout on HTTP connection requests. If a connection to the server cannot be created within the given number of seconds, the request will fail, and the feature will be output through the <Rejected> port. The default connection timeout is 60 seconds. If 0 is entered, there will be no timeout, and the transformer will wait indefinitely for a successful connection.

Badge +20

I'm working with @peteralstorp​ on this and I will try to clearify the datails:

FME sends a http request to a power automate cloud flow and waits for the flow output as a response.

If the flow finishes under 90 s everything works as i should but if it takes longer the FME script will fail with timeout. Also the response action in the flow will fail with:

"the client application timed out waiting for a response from service. This means that workflow took longer to respond than the alloted timeout value. The connection maintained between the client application and service will be closed and client application will get an HTTP status code 504 Gateway Timeout."

If I understand the FME docs correctly the "Connection Timeuot Length" is the time for creating the connection, not the waiting time for a respons.

This parameter can be used to set a timeout on HTTP connection requests. If a connection to the server cannot be created within the given number of seconds, the request will fail, and the feature will be output through the <Rejected> port. The default connection timeout is 60 seconds. If 0 is entered, there will be no timeout, and the transformer will wait indefinitely for a successful connection.

I don't have much experience with PowerAutomate but you can also try setting Transfer Timeout to something larger.

In the past I used this setting to download large datasets on slow connections.

You should also try to find a second HTTP call to get the response.

Look at the HTTP limits section in the Power automate documentation . Maybe you will find some knowledge that helps you fix this.