Question

What's Up Wednesday (31-August-2022): FME Conference Follow-Ups, The Next UC Announced, The Community Café Stays Live, Scavenger Hunt Closing, PowerPoint Reports.

• 31 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hello FME'ers,

Welcome to What's Up Wednesday.

A Big Thank You...

I have to start by saying thank you to all the folk I interacted with at the recent FMEUC22. I'm overwhelmed by your love and positive feedback. As the song says, "I second that emotion"!

My only regret is it was such a crazy week that I couldn't spend as much time with each of you as I wanted.

WUW-2022-08-31-01 

Oh, and thanks to those who smiled and indulged me as I tried out my Swedish! I'll be better next time. Another thing for next time, jag behöver bekvämare skor!

Conference Follow Ups

It takes a while to get the recordings taken at the conference, so expect presentations to start to appear online sometime in the next two weeks. I expect we'll start to get official photos of the event around then too.

As for unofficial photos, I really like this one I borrowed from the Locus team post:

WUW-2022-08-31-02 

If you would like to share some of your photos of the UC, I created a folder on my FME Community repository for you to upload to. I already added about a dozen of my better shots.

One set of videos that is already online is the interview series by Solutions Review. There are 28 interviews with various Safers, partners, and attendees. The above link takes you to the full playlist. Let me know which ones you recommend watching. My own video is here:

WUW-2022-08-31-03 

I haven't dared to watch it yet! But I'm sure other people feel the same about their own interviews.

The Next UC Announced

I think it's fair to say that most of us at last week's conference were caught by surprise when a European User Conference was announced for 2023:

WUW-2022-08-31-04 

That sounds fantastic. For you folks in Europe, mark the date in your calendar!

Community Café

So the Community Café was the name of our booth at the recent conference, and it was accompanied by an FME Server-hosted website.

Since it was so useful, I've decided to keep the website going, so that I can put day-to-day community activities on there. I've updated the content and style already and it now looks like this:

WUW-2022-08-31-05 

There's a yearly badge that you can obtain, just by visiting that page and you can also check the live badges leaderboard. The Community Feedback link will stay there too as well as the Tea and Coffee presentation (just because I like it)!

Although it's not quite ready to play yet, I will keep the City Guesser game online, and hopefully set it up as a weekly contest with badges and prizes to be earned.

So remember fme.ly/CommunityCafe and be sure to check in now and then.

Scavenger Hunt

The summer Scavenger Hunt is now in its final stages. There are just 2 days (and a few hours) to go and it is really close at the top:

WUW-2022-08-31-07 

Team Zipster is the only team to have solved the Words, Words, Words puzzle yet. At the FMEUC I spoke to the person who got it ("mmacfarlane" I think) and was very impressed with how they did that.

Maybe that will be the difference between the two teams? We will find out by Friday afternoon (4pm Central Time).

Oh, if you're taking part in the event, don't forget to claim your exclusive virtual badge. You should have been messaged on how to do that.

Other News

• I got an email that the IMGS World Tour event that was postponed in May, is now scheduled for October 18th and is renamed "FME Intelligence 2022". It's a virtual event, so watch out for that.
  • This tweet highlights my favourite project from the FME Hackathon. It's like a 3D "Where's Waldo" but with FME Lizards. It is awesome.
  • If you took part in the hackathon, don't forget you can share your project via this GitHub folder. I think we'd especially like to get a copy of the climbing Zipster video that we can share.
  • Part 3 of Koen Verhoeven's series on creating reports with FME has just appeared on my radar. This one is all about using FME to create automated reports in PowerPoint!
  • For Julia. This is what I'm singing this morning:
    • I see a little silhouetto of a cat,
    • Scaramouch, Scaramouch, do you want some more cat food?
    • Shrimp in salmon gravy,
    • Very, very tasty, see!

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Thanks @mark2atsafe​