Question

Efficient way to texture a tiled set of TINS?

• 31 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Looking for alternative ideas/methods to texture a set of 3D terrain TINs which are tiled with images from some kind of image service (WMTS, WMS etc). The images and TIN tiles don't share the same extents

My current process involves the following steps:

1. Fetching and georeferencing the images,
  2. Merging the images in to one mosaic
  3. Clipping/Tiling the mosaic to match the TIN tiles (here I also pick up the tiles ID)
  4. Use the AppearenceSetter (Grouping by the TileID to set the texture on each TIN tile). Here i use the TopDownGeoreference method
  5. Write the tiles out to format X (e.g, OBJ)

Performance is slow(est) at the Mosaicking, Clipping and the Writing out parts (2, 3 and 5).

Now, I see that FME 2022.1 has the option to now Clip surfaces which are textured. I'm thinking about changing the order a bit here to try and take advantage of it but before I did I was curious to see if anyone had any experience with this kind of workflow.

@daveatsafe​ perhaps you might have some tips?

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @virtualcitymatt​,

I think your present process produces the most efficient output models. If you were to switch to tiling a large textured TIN, you would get the entire mosaic output for each OBJ, instead of just required image tile.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

I'd consider switching the clipping and merging steps around

1. read in georeferenced images
  2. extract clipping extents
  3. clip image to extents (maybe even start by extracting the image extents and doing a spatial relationship and merge that back to the image to make use of groupby)
  4. mosaic the clipped images back to the required extents

This approach would have the benefit of doing more small mosiacs - potentially insome instances you would even need to mosaic an image to cover your required extent