Question

How to generate elevation surface from 3D line features

• 8 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I am in the process of developing a 3D noise model using FME to process the geospatial datasets ready to convert into noise modelling files.

As part of this process, after having draped road centrelines to make them 3D, I need to then generate an elevation surface from the 3D road centreline geometries that will be used to drape bridges and breaklines so that their elevations align (there is a reason why we want to do this rather than draping bridge and breaklines to DTM/DSM which I can explain if required).

Appreciate any advice on how best to approach this?

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I think all you need to do it is run the 3D roads into a TINGenerator and you'll get a surface out the end.

I think all you need to do it is run the 3D roads into a TINGenerator and you'll get a surface out the end.

Thank you Matt - in the end I have used a raster DEM generator - effectively creating a DEM from all of the pre-draped and smoothed road segments that are tagged as being on and/or leading up to the bridge objects. Seems to have worked but this is only on a small scale test model at the moment and needs to be expanded to much wider extents eventually - at that point I wonder if using the TIN generator would be better.