Question

Hey community! How can I create DWG blocks with related attributes? I need to create topographic point blocks with various attributes, such as point number, point type and other attributes Thanks

Badge
Hey community! How can I create DWG blocks with related attributes? I need to create topographic point blocks with various attributes, such as point number, point type and other attributes Thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @giuseppecfgeo​,

You should be able to do this by writing these attributes to the block. You can set these attributes using a transformer such as an AttributeManager. Just be sure that your writer feature type's User Parameters tab is set to Automatic so the attribute makes it through to the output.

It helps if you already have the block definition in a DWG template including the target attributes, but I believe FME should write the new attributes even if they weren't predefined. If you're using a DWG block definition from a template file, make sure that the name of the attribute matches the one in the template.

Badge +4

Hi @giuseppecfgeo​ ,

If you want to write the blocks just ensure there is an attribute on any survey points called 'autocad_block_name' that matches the definition in your template file. Then run a DWGStyler prior to writing. The block name will be the new attribute.

I've only ever done this for points but I presume it will add a block onto every vertex if you do this with all the geometry

In terms of attributes Autocad doesn't store them easily at all. It doesn't have any sort of GIS functionality in this regard. You can write your attributes as text, but that wont be linked at all to your block. It will just be nearby depending on your settings. I have heard there may be a workaround, but I don't know how to do it sorry

You can set up Microstation to hold the attributes easily if that is a piece of software you have access to