Question

Separate points in a point cloud into those with colour and those without

Badge +4

Hi,

I have a single point cloud which has contains both points with colour and points without. Does anyone know how I can split it so that I can separate the two types of points? I have a script to turn the intensity component into black and white colour values but I don't want apply it to points that actually have colour information already.

Does anyone have any ideas? Possibly there is some expression for the PointCloudExpressionEvaluator I could do? But I can't think what.

Any help would be appreciated

7 replies

Badge +11

Hi @james_c_452​ use PointCloudFilter

Badge +4

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I don't think that this will work in my case. I want to be able to get the part of the cloud that is missing the colour components from within the cloud that has them. I need to keep both afterwards. Not just find the points that aren't bright green.

I did try something similar previously where I had the values as looking for 0,0,0 instead (to find points without colour). Though this does select anything that is legitimately black. Though I haven't decided if that matters or not yet

Badge

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I don't think that this will work in my case. I want to be able to get the part of the cloud that is missing the colour components from within the cloud that has them. I need to keep both afterwards. Not just find the points that aren't bright green.

I did try something similar previously where I had the values as looking for 0,0,0 instead (to find points without colour). Though this does select anything that is legitimately black. Though I haven't decided if that matters or not yet

Hi @james_c_452​  When you inspect the point cloud what red, green, and blue values are appearing for the points with no colour? Also you can still use both ports from the PointCloudFilter in the workspace, it does not discard all the Unfiltered points.

Badge +4

Hi,

For the cloud I have I believe points without colour are 0,0,0. So for the moment I am using my original filter (like muzhnasto's answer but with a different value). There are a few points that will be legitimately black but I suppose it doesn't really matter if I reassign the colour for black points.

Hopefully 0,0,0 says common for my clouds. This seems to be a recurring issue for me

And yes any 0,0,0 points or rejected points won't have colour and anything unlfiltered will

Badge

Hi,

From my understanding 0, 0, 0 will work for the black points, if there are white points could you try 255, 255, 255?

Badge +4

Hi,

That's a good idea to include white points. Thanks

Badge

Hi,

No problem, let us know if it helps with your workflow :)