Question

Limiting 3ds file size from 3ds writer

Hi, I'm working with a mesh feature with around 200 vertices and edges.

I saved it to my local PC in 3ds format.

I guess the file size is too large than ordinary 3ds file(maybe 4~5 times bigger compared with almost the same file.)

I found that 3ds writer in fme is using native fme entity rather than 3ds entity type.

(similar question: https://community.safe.com/s/article/fme-creates-large-autocad-dxf-files)

I couldn't find any parameters or methods to do the similar thing...

Is there any way to reduce my 3ds file output?

Thanks a lot.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @janghanie1​ , thanks for posting! There is no obvious way in FME to reduce size of 3ds files, but there are some 3ds writer parameters we can potentially tweak to help reduce output size. It's possible "Two Sided Meshes" = "No" might reduce the size a bit, but I wouldn't expect too much from this change. Another parameter to consider would be "Preferred Texture Format", as some texture files are larger than others (however, this is really only going to help if 3ds embeds texture information, and does not store it as external files). I'm not too sure what you mean by the entity type sentence, apologies. Also, it may help if you define 'large' in a clearer way? How large?

Hopefully these suggestions will help you! Best, Kailin.

More specifically, the original file(3DS format) size was 11KB and the output 3ds file is 60KB(more than 5 times larger than the original file)

As you mentioned, considering 'preferred texture format' was quite useful to reduce the size of the texture file.(png to jpeg)

I will try changing some parameters.

Thank you very much for your help!