Question

Read data from external SQL database (ODBC connection) which requires SSL

Badge +4

Hi

I am trying to set up connection to an external SQL database (the supplier describes it as an ODBC connection). I am using the SQL non spatial reader. However, we have been told it needs to use SSL to connect. Is there an option in FME to use SSL for the connection please?

2 replies

Badge +8

Hi @markcoopersdc​ 

When creating a Database connection or Embeded connection, you need to click on the box to next "Encrypt Connection" parameter to enable SSL support see documentation here

NOTE:

When Encrypt Connection is selected, please provide a fully qualified Server name. For example, a server named safe-sql-server might have a fully qualified name of safe-sql-server.dev.safe. This fully qualified name should be an exact match for the server name on the trusted certificate. The certificate needs to be present on the client machine where FME Desktop/Server is installed.

Badge +4

Hi @markcoopersdc​ 

When creating a Database connection or Embeded connection, you need to click on the box to next "Encrypt Connection" parameter to enable SSL support see documentation here

NOTE:

When Encrypt Connection is selected, please provide a fully qualified Server name. For example, a server named safe-sql-server might have a fully qualified name of safe-sql-server.dev.safe. This fully qualified name should be an exact match for the server name on the trusted certificate. The certificate needs to be present on the client machine where FME Desktop/Server is installed.

Thanks for the reply. I have had a look now at the documentation and, unfortunately, I do not really understand much of it! It says "There are multiple ways to trust a server certificate on a client machine" but then doesn't go on to explain any of them! Do I need to ask the external company whose database we are connecting to email a copy of the certificate file to go on my fme machine, if that's even a possibility? If so, where does it need to go? Thanks