Solved

I am creating an FFS after doing some filtering with a DGN file but along with the FFS file, my workbench is creating an FRS file as well. Why is this happening? And it doesn't happen with all the DGN files.

Badge +4

@david_r​ @Hans van der Maarel​ @safesoftware safesoftware​ 

icon

Best answer by chrisatsafe 15 June 2022, 17:26

View original

3 replies

Badge +2

Hi @rishi1804​ ,

Rasters stored to an FFS file will have their data written to a corresponding .frs (FME Raster Store) file. One FRS file may hold the data for multiple raster features. 

FRS files hold up to 2 GB of raster data; if the file surpasses this size, the data is automatically split across multiple files. If an FFS file containing raster features is opened and the corresponding FRS file cannot be opened, then the raster features will be restored as polygons with attributes indicating the properties of the raster (for example, number of rows/columns, spacing, etc.).

As a result, you are likely seeing an frs file being created whenever a 3D feature with an appearance is detected or a drawing has an embedded image. If you want to prevent FRS files from being created you could use a GeometryFilter and filter for Raster geometry and send the <Unfiltered> port to the writer feature type.

Badge +4

@chrisatsafe​  I read the documentation as well, this was mentioned there. I am using GeometryFilter and I am getting everything from the surface port. If there is no Raster-type geometry then why it is creating FRS file?? This is how my GeometryFilter is configured. I have tried all the three options available for Handle Instances. What else can I do??image

Badge +2

@chrisatsafe​  I read the documentation as well, this was mentioned there. I am using GeometryFilter and I am getting everything from the surface port. If there is no Raster-type geometry then why it is creating FRS file?? This is how my GeometryFilter is configured. I have tried all the three options available for Handle Instances. What else can I do??image

Hi @rishi1804​ ,

If your surfaces have appearances you can remove them with an AppearanceRemover before the writer (no GeometryRemover needed since you are only dealing with surfaces).