Question

Will FME work on a file-system-based control such as Visual Source Safe (VSS)?

Will FME work on a file-system-based control such as Visual Source Safe (VSS)?

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi @mmartine1​ this question could have multiple answers since it really depends what you mean when you're looking for FME to work with a source control system.

Are you looking to track the FME program files (deposited by an FME Installer)?

Are you wanting to track user folders for FME?

Or, Are you looking to track workspaces? If so, this is probably the most achievable with FME, but can still be a challenge.

Let me know your thoughts.

The goal would be to use FME if possible to pull data (source code) out of VSS. I know there are other tools available for this type of request/task but was just wondering if FME had this capability.

Thank you for your response!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

The goal would be to use FME if possible to pull data (source code) out of VSS. I know there are other tools available for this type of request/task but was just wondering if FME had this capability.

Thank you for your response!!

@mmartine1​ Would you be able to provide some more context about what you plan on doing with the data you mentioned?

If you're simply looking to just read the properties and details of the files (such as where they exist in the VSS), then this could be possible with the Directory and File Pathnames Reader.

However, if you're looking to read file history, or read branches or tags within the versioning system then this won't work with FME as is. Likewise, if you want to read the actual source files as attachments or move them somewhere to another system, then this may or may not be possible.

If you haven't already, I recommend downloading a trial of FME Desktop and giving the Directory and File Pathnames Reader a go.

@mmartine1​ Would you be able to provide some more context about what you plan on doing with the data you mentioned?

If you're simply looking to just read the properties and details of the files (such as where they exist in the VSS), then this could be possible with the Directory and File Pathnames Reader.

However, if you're looking to read file history, or read branches or tags within the versioning system then this won't work with FME as is. Likewise, if you want to read the actual source files as attachments or move them somewhere to another system, then this may or may not be possible.

If you haven't already, I recommend downloading a trial of FME Desktop and giving the Directory and File Pathnames Reader a go.

I have used FME in the past as was very pleased with the functionality. For this effort I was hoping I could actually migrate the contents (branches/tags/contents) from VSS to SQL Server but seeing your comments below I understand this would not be possible.