Solved

Why does sharepointOnlineConnector show only one web connection, when multiple are installed in the connections list?

Badge

I have had success in connecting to my corporate Sharepoint with the SharePointOnlineConnector using the web connection as set up in this HowTo: How to create a Sharepoint Web Connection (safe.com). Now I want to connect to another Tenant for which I have been granted access, but the connector only presents me with the Safe Template version for my web connection - even though I have set up and succesfully tested a new connection with a new name. I tried testing on a new machine, with no previous connections, and imported the new connection via xml then tried to add the web connection from within the transformer - same issue - the dropdown list doesn't show me the newly created connection (no matter what I call it):

SharePointOnline connector web connection listCan anyone advise on what needs to be done to connect from a selection of web connections for sharepoint?

icon

Best answer by danminneyatsaf 3 May 2022, 23:09

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi @ridleyj​ thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have tested the same methods and am encountering the same issues. I've submitted a bug report with our developers to get this fixed. The reference number for the issue is FMEDESKTOP-12773.

To workaround this, click on Tools > FME Options and then click the + symbol to add a Web Connection. From here you can select one of those other SharePoint web services that you created previously. As you can see in the screenshot below, multiple SharePoint web services are selectable. Hope this helps!

Badge

Thanks @danminneyatsaf​ for looking at my question. I am unable to get the workaround to work in my setup; I have successfully added the sharepoint connection from the service definition - it is sitting in the web connection list once authenticated. Such as: image I have even started with a clean machine, so that the connection is the ONLY one in the list (just to be sure) and I still get presented with the Safe starter template when choosing "account" in the SharePointOnlineConnector:imageI am confused with how to get the edit window up (as shown in your post) for the connection settings when choosing "account" within the connector..

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Thanks @danminneyatsaf​ for looking at my question. I am unable to get the workaround to work in my setup; I have successfully added the sharepoint connection from the service definition - it is sitting in the web connection list once authenticated. Such as: image I have even started with a clean machine, so that the connection is the ONLY one in the list (just to be sure) and I still get presented with the Safe starter template when choosing "account" in the SharePointOnlineConnector:imageI am confused with how to get the edit window up (as shown in your post) for the connection settings when choosing "account" within the connector..

@ridleyj​ I can see you've got the web connection setup in your first screenshot so that all looks good. This web connection that you created is selectable from the drop down list for the Account parameter in the SharePointOnlineConnector.

imageThe name of the web connection will match the one you setup already(jason.ridley Microsoft SharePoint Online OtherTenance ConnectorTest). In your second screenshot it looks like you've clicked Add Web Connection which you would only want to do if you want to create another Web Connection.

If this is still a bit confusing, would you be able to clarify the goal here? Are you trying to create a new Web Connection, a new Web Service, or just select your existing Web Connection it in the SharePointOnlineConnector?

Badge

@ridleyj​ I can see you've got the web connection setup in your first screenshot so that all looks good. This web connection that you created is selectable from the drop down list for the Account parameter in the SharePointOnlineConnector.

imageThe name of the web connection will match the one you setup already(jason.ridley Microsoft SharePoint Online OtherTenance ConnectorTest). In your second screenshot it looks like you've clicked Add Web Connection which you would only want to do if you want to create another Web Connection.

If this is still a bit confusing, would you be able to clarify the goal here? Are you trying to create a new Web Connection, a new Web Service, or just select your existing Web Connection it in the SharePointOnlineConnector?

@danminneyatsaf​ The goal is to select the existing Web Connection. Interestingly, I don't see a list (which is why I assumed that you meant for me to follow the route of "Add Web Connection"; even though my connections list has values, the connector account dropdown is blank, so nothing to select:image

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@ridleyj​ What version of FME are you running? You can find this information under Help > About FME Workbench.

Badge

Apologies for the delay in responding:

FME Information

Edition: FME Desktop Oracle Edition (floating)

Version: FME(R) 2021.0.0.0 (20210305 - Build 21302 - WIN64)

Locale: en_AU

Codepage: windows-1252

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@ridleyj​ I tested the same methods on FME 2021.0.0.0 (Build 21302 - WIN64) and was not able to reproduce the issue.

Would you be able to download a more recent version of FME and try the same methods and see if you can reproduce the issue? If the issue no longer persists then that means there must have been a problem with either that version of FME or the install on your machine.

Thanks!

Badge

Ok @danminneyatsaf​  I'll see if I can update. This may take some time in my corporate ecosystem! I'll keep you posted 😊​

@danminneyatsafe (Safer) I have the same issue in FME 2022.1.1.0. Can u advise me what needs to be done to connect from a selection of web connections for sharepoint?

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@danminneyatsafe (Safer) I have the same issue in FME 2022.1.1.0. Can u advise me what needs to be done to connect from a selection of web connections for sharepoint?

@gemeentehw_mvk​ would you be able to provide more details on the issue you're having? Is this the same issue that was detailed above about not being able to view web connections you've created in the SharePointOnlineConnector?

@gemeentehw_mvk​ would you be able to provide more details on the issue you're having? Is this the same issue that was detailed above about not being able to view web connections you've created in the SharePointOnlineConnector?

@danminneyatsaf​ Sorry for my clarity.

I am experiencing the same issue that started this question. I don't get web connections that were previously made in the basic Microsoft SharePoint List Reader.

Microsoft_SharePoint_List_ReaderThe SharePointOnlineConnecter does give me the web connections.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@gemeentehw_mvk​ I have a few follow up questions to better understand how you're setting up your workspace:

• Are you creating the web connection in the transformer or in the FME Options > Web Connections Window?
  • Were these existing web connections made in the same version of FME you're using right now or a previous version?
  • Is your SharePoint Online package up to date? You can upgrade by going to Tools (in the FME Workbench toolbar) > FME Options > FME Packages > check that the SharePoint Online package doesn't have "Upgrade Available" next to it. If it does, upgrade the package and try again
Badge

Hi, 

I am having the same issue with FME workbench version 2023.2.1.  Has this bug been fixed? The interesting things is that I am able to connect to a SharePoint List as a reader within the same workspace but when I try to connect to SharePointOnlineConnector using that same web connection to connect to the SP List I am unable to.  

Or is there a better way now to connect to excel on SP Online than this? 

Thanks,

Michelle