Solved

Automate without FME Server?

• 23 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +7

I've created a workspace that updates (and truncates) an ArcGIS feature service. It works great! I'd like to run it once a day in the middle of the night like 3:00 AM. I have a floating FME Desktop license and don't have access to an FME Server. I use the floating license on my desktop and laptop computers, both run Windows 10.

I think that this may be more of a Windows 10 question rather than an FME question. Can anyone recommend a way for me to run an FME workspace once a day at a specific time on my desktop machine? Because I have a floating license, I think that I'll need to make sure to FME Desktop on my laptop at the end of the day. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by redgeographics 23 April 2022, 11:54

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

You can use the Windows Task Scheduler to run an application at a certain time. You can find the command line that's used to run FME and have it run a workspace at the top of the log file.

FME does need to have a license when it's running. I'm not sure what the license usage in your organisation looks like but odds are that the chances of licenses being unavailable are slim at 3 am. As you say, you can force it to retain a license by keeping your laptop on and FME active when you end your workday, but that does claim one license for the entire night, which means nobody else can use it.

Badge +7

You can use the Windows Task Scheduler to run an application at a certain time. You can find the command line that's used to run FME and have it run a workspace at the top of the log file.

FME does need to have a license when it's running. I'm not sure what the license usage in your organisation looks like but odds are that the chances of licenses being unavailable are slim at 3 am. As you say, you can force it to retain a license by keeping your laptop on and FME active when you end your workday, but that does claim one license for the entire night, which means nobody else can use it.

Thanks. It looks like Windows Task Scheduler will do what I need. I'll give it a try soon.

Regarding licensing, I work both remote and on site. Once I left FME Desktop open on my laptop at home and when I went to work to use my desktop machine there were no licenses available for me to use. I don't have a way to VPN into a company laptop at home so I was stuck. I'll need to be careful to always quit FME on my laptop so that Windows Task Scheduler can run FME.