Question

Geodatabase version compatibility issue?

• 12 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

On 2018 build 18520. Attempting to read in an Esri GDB and get this error image" data-fileid="0694Q00000HZSGiQAPThis GDB version appears to be working fine in ArcGIS. Is it an FME version issue ?

(I'm new to Esri technologies other than shapefiles. Be gentle...

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

The gdb might be to old? From this article:

"This error is produced when reading older versions of ESRI File Geodatabase. Only version 10 or newer File Geodatabases are supported by the File Geodatabase API."

You can upgrade it using ArcCatalog. 

When debugging Esri's codes don't forget to remove the minus before the error code (like I do all the time and wonder why I don't get results), like this.

Badge +1

thanks, Niels. Much appreciated

Badge +1

Is the ESRI 10.2 File GDB format no longer supported by FME Desktop 2018 (or above)? The GDB's are being created using ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.

Is this perhaps an FME2018 issue? I also note that with certain GDB's (presumably created in the same ESRI version), I was able to read it in but inspector could not visualise it.

#confused

Badge +1

Here's the log, incidentally:

Starting translation...

FME 2018.1.0.0 (20180717 - Build 18520 - WIN64)

FME Database Edition (floating)

Permanent License.

Machine host name is: L363361

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18362)

Copyright (c) 1994 - 2018, Safe Software Inc.

Safe Software Inc.

Creating reader for format: Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb Open API)

Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `FILEGDB'

Loaded module 'FILEGDB' from file 'C:\\Program Files\\FME\\plugins/FILEGDB.dll'

FME API version of module 'FILEGDB' matches current internal version (3.8 20180604)

Geodatabase Error (-2147220965): This release of the GeoDatabase is either invalid or out of date.

Could not open File Geodatabase dataset `M:/Geo-Data/Projects/Monitoring/Moorland_Change_Map_NE/2015-16/National-MCM-2015-16.gdb' for reading

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'FILEGDB' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading. See logfile for more information

FME Session Duration: 11.0 seconds. (CPU: 0.2s user, 0.1s system)

END - ProcessID: 10728, peak process memory usage: 40672 kB, current process memory usage: 40572 kB

Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'FILEGDB' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading. See logfile for more information

Program Terminating

Translation FAILED.

Workspace generation failed. Parameter file was C:\\Users\\x959900\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\FME_165054550260_20252.

Badge +6

Hi @paul_c_2​ , you can find more details about FME and Esri versions and compatibility here. Were you able to upgrade the Geodatabase using a newer version of ArcCatalog?

Badge +1

Hi @paul_c_2​ , you can find more details about FME and Esri versions and compatibility here. Were you able to upgrade the Geodatabase using a newer version of ArcCatalog?

Hi Jenna. Actually, I think the GDB might have been built in a version of ArcGIS that was too recent for FME2018, as I pulled it into my (old) ArcGIS, saved it off as a shapefile (I know, backward step..) and FME was quite happy.

So....dunno. Learning curve continues.