Question

Is it possible to write out an image (or features) in a 3D perspective view?

• 11 April 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone,

I'm still quite new to FME so I'm hoping this is not a dumb question!

I am trying to write out basemaps in 3D perspective for a client.

The goal is to get a more realistic image by avoiding the orthographic view.

However, whenever I try to output the basemap, I get the orthographic view. In 3D view the Data Inspector does give a nice perspective view. Whenever I switch to 2D, the orthographic view is visible.

I feel like using the ImageRasterizer transformer (or any other transformer I tried) will force the data into 2D and removes the perspective.

To showcase the desired output perspective versus the current output perspective, I've attached two images: the perspective output (2nd image) is what I'd like! They're just of a rectangular box that has been rotated in 3D.

Current output perspectiveDesired output perspective 

Any tips/ideas are greatly appreciated. A vector-based approach is also welcome!

Thanks in advance.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

That's not possible with FME. I think your best option would be to write to KML and set up a view point and a look at location. But then you'd get the Google Earth base layer rather than the base map selected in the FME Data Inspector.

The Data Inspector, and the Visual Preview in Workbench, are really just meant for inspecting your data as you are working with it. They are not intended to be full-fledged mapping applications.

That's not possible with FME. I think your best option would be to write to KML and set up a view point and a look at location. But then you'd get the Google Earth base layer rather than the base map selected in the FME Data Inspector.

The Data Inspector, and the Visual Preview in Workbench, are really just meant for inspecting your data as you are working with it. They are not intended to be full-fledged mapping applications.

Thanks for your reply @Hans van der Maarel​! Although of course I was hoping for a different answer! Maybe just to clarify: as the output, I'd either like an image rendered in perspective or the vector file rendered in perspective (e.g. shp or dwg). I tried looking into setting the autocad_viewport_perspective to 'Yes', writing it out as a DWG using a FeatureWriter and then reading the DWG back in, but I didn't manage to get that to work.

Do you have any experience with that? Could you indicate if you think that approach could be feasible, or should I stop getting it to work generally?

Hi @Takashi Iijima​, @virtualcitymatt​ and @owen​,  I'm wondering if you could look at my question and have any ideas to get this to work with FME?

I've seen on this forum that you all have a lot of experience in using FME for 3D purposes and I've admired the BrepSolidBoundaryCreator Custom Transformer.

FME is kind of the only software I can use for this question, so I'm hoping if you could provide me with some insights as to whether or not there is a way to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hi @Takashi Iijima​, @virtualcitymatt​ and @owen​,  I'm wondering if you could look at my question and have any ideas to get this to work with FME?

I've seen on this forum that you all have a lot of experience in using FME for 3D purposes and I've admired the BrepSolidBoundaryCreator Custom Transformer.

FME is kind of the only software I can use for this question, so I'm hoping if you could provide me with some insights as to whether or not there is a way to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Are you after an image like this? https://static.turbosquid.com/Preview/001280/502/TI/_600.jpg (found using google images)

If so think you will want to create a proper 3D Dataset (e.g., an OBJ or FBX) and then use a proper 3D tool to create the render of the result - something like Blender. FME unfortunately doesn't have any rendering capabilities. If you do end up using Blender consider moving your output to a local coordinate system (e.g., https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/obj/OBJ_writer.htm?highlight=Local) as this will make is easier to work with the data.

If you just have an image then you can probably use Blender anyway to render it on an angle.

You could of course render your result in the FME Data Inspector and take a screen shot...but I'm pretty sure that's not what you want.

Sadly this is not really my area of expertise.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Thanks for your reply @Hans van der Maarel​! Although of course I was hoping for a different answer! Maybe just to clarify: as the output, I'd either like an image rendered in perspective or the vector file rendered in perspective (e.g. shp or dwg). I tried looking into setting the autocad_viewport_perspective to 'Yes', writing it out as a DWG using a FeatureWriter and then reading the DWG back in, but I didn't manage to get that to work.

Do you have any experience with that? Could you indicate if you think that approach could be feasible, or should I stop getting it to work generally?

I don't think that approach is going to work. The 3D viewing of the data is something the native application (such as Autocad) handles.

I wonder though, if you want an easy option to share 3D images, if writing to the Adobe 3D PDF format could work for you.