Solved

Should I use reprojector in front of dissolver?

Badge +1

My data is all in LL84. I'm curious if I should reproject into UTM or other coordinate system before I use Buffer and Dissolver?

This is due the answer that I got for my other question https://community.safe.com/s/feed/0D54Q00009LDzFBSA1

The solution was changing LL84 into UTM and then everything found correct matches for nearest neighbor. I'm doing additional work with same data but this time applying a 4 foot buffer to each point and then running them through dissolver to see which points are near each other. It appears to work fine but after my last answer I'm thinking I should reproject the data to UTM and then do this work.

Thoughts?

icon

Best answer by markatsafe 3 March 2022, 17:59

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Since the Bufferer needs a buffer size in map units, and the units in LL84 are degrees which will potentially be different in the direction you're measuring them I would recommend reprojecting before buffering.

Badge +2

@ssmith_ftr​ The Bufferer is one of the few transformers that we have upgraded in FME to support units of measure so you shouldn't need to reproject before you dissolve and buffer.

dialog