Question

Using OffsetCurveGenerator -different results

• 14 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +8

I am using the OffsetCurveGenerator for two line segments . One is red, the other turquoise on the picture. I am using an interpolation angle of 22.5, corner style : round. You can see the result for two different offsets for the left side on the picture, the one in green is 2, the blue one 1. Why is an offset of 1 generating two line segments which are continuous and not intersecting while an offset of 2 creates intersecting segments ? How can I create the result for an offset of 2 which looks like the one of offset 1? If it is not possible, how can I modify the current result of offset 2 to look like the one of 1 ?image

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi @katt​ Each line is offset individually. Both red and turquoise lines have endpoints that don't meet when offset by 2 units. It's quite likely that the endpoints aren't the same exact same coordinate at 1 unit offset either. You could use a LineCombiner before the OffsetCurveGenerator or else an Intersector afterward to avoid the dangles.

Badge +8

Hi @katt​ Each line is offset individually. Both red and turquoise lines have endpoints that don't meet when offset by 2 units. It's quite likely that the endpoints aren't the same exact same coordinate at 1 unit offset either. You could use a LineCombiner before the OffsetCurveGenerator or else an Intersector afterward to avoid the dangles.

Hello @danatsafe​ , these two lines segments are result of a snipper transformer, so it is originally one line split into two, so the endpoints are definitely touching. So an offset of 1 gives me the perfect result image This why I don't understand why an offset of 2m results in this: imageTwo lines that are intersecting but not continuous like an offset of 1.

And an offset of 4 results in this: imageA straight line which doesn't show the curb like an offset of 1.

Badge +8

Hello @danatsafe​ , these two lines segments are result of a snipper transformer, so it is originally one line split into two, so the endpoints are definitely touching. So an offset of 1 gives me the perfect result image This why I don't understand why an offset of 2m results in this: imageTwo lines that are intersecting but not continuous like an offset of 1.

And an offset of 4 results in this: imageA straight line which doesn't show the curb like an offset of 1.

Btw I noticed that the offsetcurvegenerator on the right side with an offset of 4 is as expected. The problem is only on the left side.image

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi @katt​ Please try the attached workspace. It creates offsets of 1, 2, 5 & 10 and uses a NeighborFinder to show the very slight distance between the 2 left 1-unit offsets.