Solved

FME Desktop asks for floating licence server approx every 2-3 days

• 3 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

We recently upgraded FME Desktop (and also FME Server) from 2021.0.2.0 (b21321) to FME 2021.2.2.0 (b21806).

In the past it seemed that the floating licence settings would only have to be configured once (the first time opening FME Desktop), but now users are confronted with a (floating) licence activation screen every 2-3 days or so. It's manageble, but a bit of a nuisance for our FME Desktop users.

Has something changed on this front? And if so, is there an option to make sure that the (floating) licences configuration is stored for a longer period of time?

Kind regards,

Thijs

icon

Best answer by andreaatsafe 3 February 2022, 18:51

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4

If it's on Windows, make sure that the contents of this directory isn't deleted:

C:\\ProgramData\\Safe Software\\FME\\Licenses

Badge +3

If it's on Windows, make sure that the contents of this directory isn't deleted:

C:\\ProgramData\\Safe Software\\FME\\Licenses

Tnx for the info. We're indeed using windows. From this thread I already knew that the licence files are stored there.

I guess that the problem is indeed that the *.dat files regarding the floating licence are deleted after some time. However, I don't really get why that happens at this moment, and didn't happen before. Also I notice that not the entire folder is deleted, as at this location I also backed up a previous licence configuration, and this back up folder keeps intact.

Is FME itself maybe now clearing these licence files periodically (to enforce users to reconfigure their licence configuration every now and then)?

Userlevel 4

Tnx for the info. We're indeed using windows. From this thread I already knew that the licence files are stored there.

I guess that the problem is indeed that the *.dat files regarding the floating licence are deleted after some time. However, I don't really get why that happens at this moment, and didn't happen before. Also I notice that not the entire folder is deleted, as at this location I also backed up a previous licence configuration, and this back up folder keeps intact.

Is FME itself maybe now clearing these licence files periodically (to enforce users to reconfigure their licence configuration every now and then)?

Not that I know of, and I would be very surprised if that was the case. Perhaps talk with your IT department and see if they have some policies in place that could explain the missing files. It could potentially be related to some overly aggressive cleanup.

Badge +10

@thijsknapen​ I can confirm that nothing has changed on the FME Desktop nor FME License Server-side that would cause the *.dat files to be removed.

I would agree with @david_r​ that if the *.dat files are missing then it seems likely that they are being cleaned up and removed.

If there is a cleanup policy in place for the files in "ProgramData" and it cannot be adjusted to keep the *.dat files, you may want to copy all 3 *.dat files to one of the other two locations that FME would look for the files (<install directory>/licenses or C:\\users\\<user>\\Documents\\FME\\Licenses).

Badge +3

Hi @andreaatsafe​,

I asked my IT department if they changed anything in the installation, for sure it is now a bit of a structural thing for our FME Desktop users. I mentioned the workaround (place licence files in one of the other folder FME looks for the licences) to them, but I still think it's a bit odd that it now suddenly happens. To be honest I must say I am a bit sceptical to believe that it really has nothing to do with the new FME version, I just can't see any other factor having changed.

I would like to try to replicate it on my own personal computer with a trial licence (which is in no way related to my work environment).

If this behavior would also happen on my personal computer, is it maybe possible that you investigate this situation a bit further? If it doesn't, of course I'll also make note of it here.