Question

FME Transformer similar to Identity Tool in ArcGIS. LEFT and RIGHT polygon information for Line feature

• 31 January 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I am missing something basic here I think. I am trying to use a road centerline and boundary (polygon) information to assign the boundary data to the road centerline with LEFT/RIGHT indicated which is associated to the digitized direction of the line. I have tried the LeftRightSpatialCalculator but that seems to only give me the polygons as an output as opposed to the centerline being tagged with the LEFT and RIGHT polygon that falls on either side of the line. I tried working with the list but I couldn't get it joined back to the line.

For point of reference. ArcGIS has an advanced tool titled 'Identity' that, when used with lines and polygons, can add the data or just the Id of the polygon on to the line segment based on whether the polygon is to the LEFT or the RIGHT of the digitized direction of line.

Could I possibly use a tool related to the topology to derive this information? I tried looking for the result but only found those items related to LeftRightSpatialCalculator and as I said before, it seemed to give me different data than what I was expecting.

1 reply

Badge +2

@marcmpo​ Try the TopologyBuilder. This returns _left_face / _right_face for each edge.