Question

How can we read and process the data in batches of say 1 million records ?

• 31 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

Suppose I have a data containing 10 million records but I want to read every 1 million features and run my processing parallel in 10 batches. Can someone please suggest any method?

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

What is the sourse dataset format?​

Badge

What is the sourse dataset format?​

shapefile, but regardless what the format is, I want to send 1 million records or you can say rows (if its in database format) in 1 set and parallel I want to run 10 more batches like this from same series of processes and transformers, just wanted to know how it can be done in batches in parallel

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

shapefile, but regardless what the format is, I want to send 1 million records or you can say rows (if its in database format) in 1 set and parallel I want to run 10 more batches like this from same series of processes and transformers, just wanted to know how it can be done in batches in parallel

A possible way is to convert the transformers which you need to perform in parallel to a custom transformer, configure its parallel processing parameters, and run it for each group (i.e. block of 1 million features).

The attached screenshots illustrate how you can ​create a transformer parameter linked to the Group By parameter, and set a parallel mode (minimal or above) to the Parallel Processing parameter.custom-transformer-parameters-1custom-transformer-parameters-2

Badge

how we can process it in blocks? like 1 million features then next million features & then the next ? Is there a way to segregate in blocks and run in parallel, I saw all of the features which are going inside the custom transformer through different streams are going together one by one but not in parallel

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Setting the Group By Mode to "Process At End" and using a transformers like the modulo counter to group features into X number of groups

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I think it would be efficient to keep the order of features, in this case. A possible way is to use a Counter to add sequential number to the features, then calculate group ID (integer number) with this expression.

@floor(@Value(_count) / 1000000)

You can then set "Process When Group Changes (Advanced)" to the Group By Mode parameter.

[Add] The attached screenshot illustrates my intention.

workflow-example

Badge

Thank you for the suggestions, appreciate it 😊