Question

GUID not converting to exact string

Hi all

This should be a simple solution and I'm obviously looking in the wrong places so would appreciate your assistance.

I'm creating some new records in a database.

I need to create a GUID (esri sde) and an exact string copy of the GUID

Using the UUID Generator i can create a uuid like so

imageUsing an AttributeManger to convert to UpperCase it writes the UUID like so - which is the esri way

Using the same AttributeManager i should be able to rename UUID to GUID and copy the value of GUID to a GUIDString attibute

The FME output looks correct and the 2 attributes match each other

However, when writing to the sde and inspecting in arc they differ

Thanking in advance for any pointers on what I'm missing.

lj7

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Can you redirect your output to an inspector rather than SDE and check whether or not the attributes are the same? If they are, chances are the SDE writer, or SDE itself, are changing the GUID

Userlevel 4

Can you also post the feature class table definition, so that we can see how the column "GUID" is defined?

Can you redirect your output to an inspector rather than SDE and check whether or not the attributes are the same? If they are, chances are the SDE writer, or SDE itself, are changing the GUID

Inspector shows attributes as the same as well (different record shown here to the one in orig post)image

Can you also post the feature class table definition, so that we can see how the column "GUID" is defined?

User attributes are as follows

Userlevel 4

Have you tried renaming the "GUID" column to something else?

I'm unable to reproduce this behavior on my end, although I'm testing with a File Geodatabase and not ArcSDE.

@david_r​  Unfortunately the attributes are set on the sde (enterprise db) and can't change.

Userlevel 4

In that case I'd investigate what is going on with the "GUID" field in the database, e.g. are there any triggers associated with the field. My hunch is that the issue is outside of FME's control.

thanks @david_r​  will hopefully get to the bottom of it and close this out.

The GUID was being automatically generated in the sde for new records so regardless of FME setting it, it overwrote the value (not a setting i'm able to change) so going to run the workspace in 2 (workspace runner) Run the INSERTS with no value set for guid, then run the UPDATES which will test for guid = guidstring (those that fail set it and add to the rest of the workflow).

Userlevel 4

Thanks for the update, good to see that you found an explanation for the unexpected behavior.