Solved

ESRI ArcGIS Portal Feature Service - Issue writing DELETES to a branch version via FeatureWriter?

• 28 January 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

I'm having a few issues with the ESRI ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer (using the FeatureWriter). I'm writing to a known ESRI Feature Service using Branch Versioning, and I'm creating a new branch to make the edits in. Using FME Desktop 2021.0.3 (64 bit), I'm finding I can write the Inserts and the Updates to the service, but not any Deletes?

FME is completing successfully, so the ‘call’ seems to be successful, and no errors seem to be returned in FME, but any Deletes just don’t seem to be appearing in the branch.

I've checked permissions in ESRI, and the user does have editor permissions (including Deletes), and I've successfully deleted a feature using a Branch in ArcGIS Pro itself.

Anybody had a similar issue, and if so, how did you overcome it?

Many thanks,

icon

Best answer by maplinux 16 May 2022, 23:02

View original

8 replies

Badge

Just wanted to follow-up on this issue - and we've found that using traditional Writers (as opposed to FeatureWriters) using the same settings seems to work.

We did have to create separate Writers for both the Inserts/Updates (setting the Writer Mode: UPDATE and using the fme_db_operation) and Deletes (setting the Writer Mode: DELETE - it didn't like using the fme_db_operation), so it's worth bearing in mind that for this use-case, we've found that the Writer and FeatureWriter do seem to behave in slightly different ways.

Thanks,

Badge +3

Hi mlufkin,

Yes you are right. I am facing the same issue too. Update and insert working fine. But DELETE operation is not working. workbanch is not giving the error however objects are'nt deleting.

Is there any solution ?

Badge

Hi mlufkin,

Yes you are right. I am facing the same issue too. Update and insert working fine. But DELETE operation is not working. workbanch is not giving the error however objects are'nt deleting.

Is there any solution ?

Hi outlook,

I've had confirmation that Safe have applied a fix to this, and will be available in the 2022.1 release of FME.

Thanks,

Badge +3

Hi outlook,

I've had confirmation that Safe have applied a fix to this, and will be available in the 2022.1 release of FME.

Thanks,

Hi mlufkin,

Very good news. Thank you very much and Safe too.

Hi @mlufkin​ 

I'm having the exact issue of not being able to write deletes with the ESRI ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer (using the FeatureWriter). Any updates or are we still waiting for FME 2022.1? And if so do we know when it will be realeased? Thanks!

Badge

Hi @mlufkin​ 

I'm having the exact issue of not being able to write deletes with the ESRI ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer (using the FeatureWriter). Any updates or are we still waiting for FME 2022.1? And if so do we know when it will be realeased? Thanks!

Hi @maplinux​ ,

I believe we're waiting on 2022.1, which should be released in the autumn, if it follows Safe's usual version release schedule.

I've worked around it by using a traditional Writer for the Deletes, but this may not work depending on your workflow.

Thanks!

Hi @mlufkin​ ,

Thanks for the help! I'm still not able to get it to work with the traditional writer. No matter I seem to do it still appears to be sucessfull, but nothing writes out. Would you please be able to explain in more detail how you were able to get it to work? Thanks!

Hi @mlufkin​ ,

I chatted with support and my issue is that I need to be able to use globals as the primary key (Use Global IDs = Yes). It wrote out the delete with that set to No, but deleted the wrong record. Thanks again for the help!