Solved

FME Desktop 2020: The best practice to jump to command in the workbench that causes an error,

• 9 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +5

FME Desktop 2020: The best practice to jump to command in the workbench that causes an error,

I got an error that is shown in the screenshot below. I couldn’t figure out if there is a way to jump to the command that causes this error without the need to do it manually

Clip_33

icon

Best answer by DanAtSafe 10 January 2022, 21:39

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Best practice is to look at the error messages, either they themselves or the normal logging right before it will give you an indication of what's going on.

In this case it's the Geodatabase writer, and it's telling you what the problem is (line 605-609). ESRI formats don't support having more than one geometry type per feature type, so the solution may be to either

• Filter geometry types before writing using a GeometryFilter
  • Change the allowed geometry types setting on the writer feature type.

(which of the two it is kinda depends on your data and process, I'd need more context for that)

On a general note, since you mention Best Practices, your workspace layout could be improved upon. There's a good section on the FME Academy: https://safe.my.trailhead.com/content/safe/modules/document-your-workspace

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi @jamal​ With FME 2022.0 you can highlight the transformer on the canvas from the log window.

Badge +5

Thank you guys for the help.

-       My issue here is not to know why the error is happening but rather to jump to its location in the workbench

-       It appears that 2020 don’t have the “log window” option. 2022 is still beta. I’ll try to install it and find out if this resolves my issue

Clip_41

Userlevel 4
Badge +36

You can jump to its location in the workbench via the Navigator, top left in the FME window.

Badge +5

It’s not direct as I expected but I can live with it at the moment

Thank you for the help

Clip_43

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi @jamal​ With FME 2022.0 you can highlight the transformer on the canvas from the log window.

For anyone who's interested, here's a quick screenshot:

You have to show the Location field, and not all messages get a value for it, but if you click on the transformer it goes to that space on the canvas.