Question

Wrong Tiling Scheme for 3D-Tiles PointCloud

• 6 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello everyone,

I am trying to tile a Point Cloud in FME. I have a Point Cloud in the .xyz format and i would like to tile them to the Cesium 3D-Tiles format. Unfortunetly it looks like on the foto.

I` am just using the Reader for the xyz file and the writer for the 3D-Tiles output. Is there anything i am doint wrong and if yes (what i think) how can i solve the problem?

Thank you for all answers.

4 replies

Badge +6

Hi artec186. What version of FME are you using? The FME 2022's 3D tiles writer will include an option to limit the number of faces per tile. If you are on a earlier version you could try to configure the number of features per tile and it writes them out in the order the features are received. If you're able to sort the data into a grid beforehand it will also help to reduce the size of the tiles. You can also reduce the number of features per tile as well​. Hope this helped!

Hello Jenna, thank you for your answer.

I am using FME version 2021.2.1. I allready tried to configure the number of features per tile but it didnt help. I also have the same point cloud as a grid, reduced from 36 mio. points to over 700k, but the same happened. What i also do not unterstand, why those tile bboxes are rotated and not horizontal. The same happens on an other point cloud which came with the "Cesium Point Cloud Generator" from github.

While the tile bboxes in this case (tile by point cloud generator) are horizontal and are refined while i zoom in, the tiling process in FME fails. Should i maybe try the 2022 beta version?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi artec186. What version of FME are you using? The FME 2022's 3D tiles writer will include an option to limit the number of faces per tile. If you are on a earlier version you could try to configure the number of features per tile and it writes them out in the order the features are received. If you're able to sort the data into a grid beforehand it will also help to reduce the size of the tiles. You can also reduce the number of features per tile as well​. Hope this helped!

@jennaatsafe​ , I don't think the current 3D Tiles Writer of FME officially supports writing 3D Tiles for point cloud, unfortunately. See the Quick Facts of the writer.

https://docs.safe.com/fme/2021.2/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/cesium3dtiles/quick_facts_cesium3dtiles.htm

Is there any improvement to create tiles for point cloud in FME 2022?

Badge +6

@jennaatsafe​ , I don't think the current 3D Tiles Writer of FME officially supports writing 3D Tiles for point cloud, unfortunately. See the Quick Facts of the writer.

https://docs.safe.com/fme/2021.2/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/cesium3dtiles/quick_facts_cesium3dtiles.htm

Is there any improvement to create tiles for point cloud in FME 2022?

Hi​ @artec186​ apologies for the confusion from my previous response here! @Takashi Iijima​ is correct about the support of Point Clouds from out 3D Tiles Writer. I misunderstood the root of your problem.