Solved

I am trying to connect to sde database in FME. I am using ArcSDE geodb reader. I am getting this error. I am using an ESRI edition Fixed license.

• 21 December 2021
  • 14 replies

Badge +8
I am trying to connect to sde database in FME. I am using ArcSDE geodb reader. I am getting this error. I am using an ESRI edition Fixed license.
icon

Best answer by kailinatsafe 29 December 2021, 22:58

View original

14 replies

Badge +12

Hi,

Here is a case with the same error number from ArcObjects: Errors with FME 64-bit & ArcGIS Background Geoprocessing - FME Community - 亚搏在线 (baooytra.com) if this could get you closer to a solution?

Make sure you have an valid esri license on your computer

Badge +8

Hi,

Here is a case with the same error number from ArcObjects: Errors with FME 64-bit & ArcGIS Background Geoprocessing - FME Community - 亚搏在线 (baooytra.com) if this could get you closer to a solution?

Make sure you have an valid esri license on your computer

Thanks geogaard, I performed the steps mentioned in the article to check background geoprocessing and it worked fine. i am not sure what else could be the cause of the error. Also, my license for FME is for 60 days, will that be causing the transformer error.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Thanks geogaard, I performed the steps mentioned in the article to check background geoprocessing and it worked fine. i am not sure what else could be the cause of the error. Also, my license for FME is for 60 days, will that be causing the transformer error.

Hi @fme_can_do_it​, which version of FME are you running? 32-bit of 64-bit? Which Esri application do you have installed on your machine? ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, etc)? FYI your trial license for FME will have the appropriate permissions to read from Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb).

In the meantime I strongly recommend taking a good read through these two articles below. They both outline common issues with Esri and FME Compatibility.

Notes on FME and Esri Versions and Compatibility

FME and Esri ArcGIS Troubleshooting Guide

Badge +8

I am using 64-bit FME and I have ArcGIS ( Arcmap, Arc Caralog) installed on my machine. I have sde connections in arc catalog which I wanted to access using ESRI sde reader in FME

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@fme_can_do_it​ If you run the ArcGIS Administrator on your machine, would you be able to tell me which license level you have for your ArcGIS? Again, I definitely recommend taking a looking at those two articles I linked in my previous reply.

Badge +8

@danminneyatsaf​  i am using an Advanced license on my machine

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@fme_can_do_it​ have you had any luck getting FME to work with your version of ArcGIS? Let me know and we can try and get some movement on this if you're still stuck.

Badge +8

@danminneyatsaf​  I am still stuck and unable to use the transformer. I have now installed FME (64 bit) on a machine that runs ArcMap 32 bit and 64-bit background geoprocessing. I am getting the same error. I really appreciate your help if you can help me proceed with the tool. thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@fme_can_do_it​ I've got a few more suggestions here to see if this fixes the issue. If none of these work then I think it would be best to escalate this to a support case where we can better troubleshoot the issue.

• Are you using the latest version of FME? We have seen some users run into this problem with older versions of FME and have successfully fixed the issue by updating to the latest version of FME.
  • When connecting to the ArcSDE reader in FME, make sure that any other ArcGIS programs (ArcMap, ArcCatalog) are closed.
  • Would you be able to try connecting to an SDE connection file that has no spaces in it?
Badge +8

@danminneyatsaf​ currently I am using FME Desktop 2021.2.1 for Windows. Also, I tried loading the connection and made sure that ArcMap and catalog are closed. Still get an error. here is a screenshot below.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @fme_can_do_it​ , thanks for trying those suggestions. Did you also happen to try connecting to an SDE connection file that has no spaces in it?

I would encourage you to check that the version of background GP you have installed is compatible with your ArcGIS version (EG. ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 will have a BGP 10.5; and a 10.8 ArcGIS desktop will have a 10.8 BGP).

Also, do you have ArcPro installed on your machine by chance? Is it licensed? I was able to find the ArcObjects error mentioned here & it does appear to be a licensing issue. Hope this helps, Kailin.

Badge +8

Hi @kailinatsafe​  I tried connecting the SDE connection file without spaces like this: san.sde

Also, I am using ArcGIS desktop 10.8.1, do you know how to check BGP to make sure it is 10.8 as well?

And I have ArcGIS pro installed on my machine and my account is not licensed for ArcGIS pro.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @fme_can_do_it​ , thanks for replying! You can check this by navigating to your machines Control Panel > Programs and Features > you should see one instance for ArcGIS Desktop & another for the Background Geoprocessing. If your versions are the same and this issue prevails, would you mind submitting a support case with us? Thanks a ton, Kailin.

Badge +8

hello@kailinatsafe, the issue with the Arcsde reader has been fixed. I had to install background geoprocessing. I greatly appreciate the help from you and all FME team.