Question

Hi, Shape writer writes numbers as text and with points as separator and can't be read by arcgis for some reason

• 14 December 2021
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

I have some problems using data made from FME. The workflow is basically from excel statistics data combined with feature joiner with shape polygon and after that through attribute manager to shape writer. I'm doing calculations based on both data sources attribute information in attribute manager (arithmetic editor) which I guess changes the data to text with point separator. When I try to do thematic maps in other GIS applications the data cannot be read even though it is there and looks good on the surface and contains both calculated data and polygons. I suspect the reason is that attribute manager changes the information to text after calculations. Even if I manually change the data type to double in shape writer this doesn't help. Any tips? Also possible reason is the use of point separator (most often I use comma). I haven't updated all the transformers lately.

(The error I'm getting from ArcGIS when I try to do maps from data is that layer doesn't contain any field types that can be used to quantify using graduated colors, if I for example want to do map classification based on polygon attribute values however I can open the attribute table and inspect data by clicking and it looks ok but data type is text for calculated numbers in FME formatted polygon file)

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @fmezer​,

Would you mind sharing a copy of your workspace and output Shape data so we can look at this more closely? If you don't want to make these public you can send the files or a download link to dave.campanas@safe.com.