Solved

Using WorkspaceRunner on FME Server ?

• 28 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi authors.

FME workspaces are stored in a specific and well-known structure on an FME Server. So finding the path of another workspace is feasiable.

I'm wondering whether I can use WorkspaceRunner to submit other workspaces on an FME Server instead of FMEServerJobSubmitter ?

Is this completely no-go, or are there benefits, such as running more workspaces within a single job ?

It would also simplify building and debugging on desktop.

Any insights are appreciated.

Cheers

icon

Best answer by david_r 28 October 2021, 09:28

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4

The WorkspaceRunner requires an FME Desktop license, as it executes the workspace through the same mechanisms as FME Desktop, i.e. not using FME Server engines. I would highly recommend only using the FMEServerJobSubmitter on FME Server.

Regarding debugging, I usually insert a TestFilter to check if FME_JOB_ID > 0, which effectively tells you if the workspace is running on FME Desktop or Server, and the route the trigger feature to either a WorkspaceRunner or an FMEServerJobSubmitter.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

You can't use WorkspaceRunners on FME Server and I would really want to stress that running a workspace on FME Server without going through the FME Server core is not a good idea. For one, those jobs will not be logged and if FME Server would crash during one of those jobs it'll not restart it. FME Server might also think an engine is available while in reality it's running one of those jobs.

Can you explain a bit more about your use case? FMEServerJobSubmitters essentially offer the same functionality. I do agree it is a bit of a hassle to switch out WorkspaceRunners for FMEServerJobSubmitters but it is possible to use an FMEServerJobSubmitter in a workspace you're running locally on FME Desktop (as long as you have access to that FME Server from that local FME Desktop of course).

Userlevel 4

You can't use WorkspaceRunners on FME Server and I would really want to stress that running a workspace on FME Server without going through the FME Server core is not a good idea. For one, those jobs will not be logged and if FME Server would crash during one of those jobs it'll not restart it. FME Server might also think an engine is available while in reality it's running one of those jobs.

Can you explain a bit more about your use case? FMEServerJobSubmitters essentially offer the same functionality. I do agree it is a bit of a hassle to switch out WorkspaceRunners for FMEServerJobSubmitters but it is possible to use an FMEServerJobSubmitter in a workspace you're running locally on FME Desktop (as long as you have access to that FME Server from that local FME Desktop of course).

+1, you said it better than me.

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Ok, so basically no-go. Got it! :-)

I'll give you the benefit of the best answer for mentioning that I can have both, depending on whether running as desktop (build/debug) or server.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Thanks @david_r​ 😄 Just finished an FME Server training yesterday where the trainees had a lot of questions along these lines, I guess I had the opportunity to practice 😊

Userlevel 4

Sounds like you should go for the Server certification next, Hans!

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

It expired a while ago, but I'm too busy to find the time to finish the last part of the examination 😅