Question

I have a workbench that is using an excel reader for an excel spreadsheet that gets updated with one new record everyday. The workbench is not pulling this new record automatically.

• 27 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

The work flow of this process is that there is an excel spreadsheet from another department that is updated with one new record everyday. This excel document is the source for another spreadsheet that we use in our department where there are formulas that update columns. What we are noticing is that when the workbench is run the next day it will not pull the new record automatically. If I open this excel spreadsheet and save it manually then the FME excel reader will pull the new record. What can I do to get the FME workbench to pull the new record?

Thank you,

Laura

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

How is the Excel spreadsheet getting updated? Is that with FME too?

Badge

How is the Excel spreadsheet getting updated? Is that with FME too?

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your question. No it is not.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @lmawhinney7175​, have you considered updating the spreadsheet using FME? We have a ton of great tools for catching changes between documents. The main transformer that comes to mind is the ChangeDetector. This transformer detects changes between two sets of input features. This may not be the most optimal solution for you, as you only need to identify 1 new record each run (if they are super large spreadsheets), but food for thought! Here is a blog that explains Change Detection fairly well (there are also articles/examples on the Community for ChangeDetection if you'd like to check those out). If you have any questions about ChangeDetection or other, let me know! Here to help, Kailin.

Badge

​Hello @kailinatsafe​ , We didn't consider this.  I have used this in other workbenches.  I am also wondering why this is happening.  I have used excel in other workbenches and it picked up the new records automatically.  We are considering using the original excel as the source in the workbench and applying the formulas from the second excel into the workbench as a solution.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

​Hello @kailinatsafe​ , We didn't consider this.  I have used this in other workbenches.  I am also wondering why this is happening.  I have used excel in other workbenches and it picked up the new records automatically.  We are considering using the original excel as the source in the workbench and applying the formulas from the second excel into the workbench as a solution.

Hello @lmawhinney7175​, hm... I see what you are saying. Do you have "Overwrite Existing File" disabled by chance on the Writer? What version/build of FME are you using currently? Would you be able to share sample file(s) for testing? I'm assuming this was working before and now it is not? Sorry for the list of questions! Best, Kailin.