Solved

Can workspace tell if running locally or on server?

• 10 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello, I'm doing the unit "Publish your Self-Serve Workspace to the Web" as part of the training "Integrate Your Data with the FME Platform". That unit tells me to change the parameter "Destination Generic (Any Format) Folder" of the writer, to a location on the FME Server.

If I change that parameter to the FME Server, and run the workspace locally, it seems to store the output in the same folder as the workspace. I would like to store it in a different local folder when running locally. That way, I can use the same workspace both locally and on the server.

Is it possible for the workspace to detect if it's running locally? If so, then I can configure it to save to a specific local folder. If not, I can configure it to save to a specific FME Server folder.

So far I've tried:

• Log File. Potentially the workspace could see if "FME_HOME is 'C:\\Program Files\\FME\\'", which implies that it's running locally.
  • Workspace Parameters. I could not see a suitable one.
  • FME Server Parameters. Maybe these only get populated when the workspace is running on FME Server, and are blank otherwise?
icon

Best answer by virtualcitymatt 10 October 2021, 11:42

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Can you just set the output as a published parameter? Which you can just pick when you run the workspace?

​You can set the default output to be the fmeserver output.

Or perhaps I'm missing something ​

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Can you just set the output as a published parameter? Which you can just pick when you run the workspace?

​You can set the default output to be the fmeserver output.

Or perhaps I'm missing something ​

Otherwise here is a discussion on the same thing: https://community.safe.com/s/question/0D54Q000080hS5YSAU/workspace-to-determine-if-running-on-fme-server