Solved

FME Desktop ESRI Licensing

• 1 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +16

I'm looking for documentation going over how FME Desktop checks out an ESRI license. So lets say we have 10 standard ESRI licenses in our license pool. Then one user has ArcMap/ArcPro open, taking up one of the 10 and leaving us with 9 licenses available. If FME Desktop was ran with ArcMap/ArcPro open, would FME take up one of the available licenses, or does it just need to verify the license is valid? Would we still have 9 ESRI licenses available or 8?

**I'm also only referring to workspaces that actually require an ESRI license

I've reviewed this page, but wanted to be sure I'm understanding how it works with the ESRI licensing.

https://community.safe.com/s/article/required-arcgis-license-types-for-fme-geodatabase

icon

Best answer by nielsgerrits 1 October 2021, 20:24

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

I believe FME uses the license you have already when you have ArcMap open. We have limited licenses, on busy days I often keep ArcCatalog open just to prevent losing a license between runs when working on a workspace with Esri items. I see only one license coupled to my name / machine when doing this.

Badge +16

I believe FME uses the license you have already when you have ArcMap open. We have limited licenses, on busy days I often keep ArcCatalog open just to prevent losing a license between runs when working on a workspace with Esri items. I see only one license coupled to my name / machine when doing this.

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ ! I didn't think FME would be actually checking out another license, but wanted to be sure.