Question

Looking for a tutorial to assist creating a simple web form to capture a-spatial information and push (append) it into a basic excel table

• 26 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +7

Hey,

I am competent with FME Desktop, but an extreme novice to FME Server.

I understand with FME server we can create web-apps and the like, and I have a great entry level task I want to see if FME can assist with.

Currently we are emailed information from people within our organisation and we have to manually move this data into an excel spreadsheet.

I believe with FME Server it can host a page where these fellow staff can input a few basic text items (nothing spatial at this point, that will be phase 2 of my project) and then append it to a local excel table.

I am looking for a tutorial to assist me with this process. I am a little overwhelmed as all tutorials I have found so far are wanting the user to upload a file, and the server converts to another file and is returned. This is not really applicable with my basic phase 1 task.

Has anyone seen something that may assist, that is targeted to n00bs?

Kind regards,

Ben

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

With FME Server it's pretty easy to create a web app. When you try to run a published workspace on ​FME Server the published parameters will automatically be available and this is the same for the web app.

Here is a webinar from a year ago about it which should at least step you through the process:

https://www.safe.com/webinars/creating-no-code-web-apps-with-fme-server/

And here is a tutorial:

https://community.safe.com/s/article/fme-server-apps

One think to keep in mind is the permissions, as in who can run the workspace? You will need to either create a login for each person who needs to use it OR make the app open to everyone. ​

Good luck!​

Badge +7

Ok very cool, I now have a web app that will take a name and an age, and will save to an excel doc.

To take this to the next level I would love to include a geometry picker, and have the user pick a point location, and have the lat and long captured in two different columns...

The tutorial/video provided skips over the setup of this, and just references that this can happen.

Any detail on what I could search for this config?

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Ok very cool, I now have a web app that will take a name and an age, and will save to an excel doc.

To take this to the next level I would love to include a geometry picker, and have the user pick a point location, and have the lat and long captured in two different columns...

The tutorial/video provided skips over the setup of this, and just references that this can happen.

Any detail on what I could search for this config?

Nice one,

I think this should help:

https://community.safe.com/s/article/using-the-geometry-picker-in-fme-server

A special 'Geometry' type published parameter is required - You can then use a GeometryReplacer in your workspace to extract the geometry (GeoJSON format) as a point. One you have the point a simple CoordinateExtractor should give you the lat and long.

The 'Geometry' type published parameter is pretty neat because you can use a bonding box and also specify the geometry type required.