Solved

Writing attributes to AutoCAD User Properties

• 22 September 2021
  • 11 replies

Badge

Hi All,

I am trying to write attributes to AutoCAD User Properties (within the panel) instead of exposing them using XDLIST Command.

Capture 

I know how to do so manually in AutoCAD by using ADEDEFDATA Command and FME seems to be able to read these attributes, amend them or even add new ones and Write an AutoCAD File showing these attributes within the User Properties panel. However, it does not seem possible to write a new AutoCAD File with these properties or use a template with this table added to it.

Is this functionality even possible with FME? Have any of you found any alternatives?

Many thanks for the time,

Ana

icon

Best answer by nielsgerrits 22 September 2021, 19:35

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

You can write ObjectData with the "Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data" writer.

You can't set the Insertion Scale Units like you can in the "Autodesk AutoCAD RealDWG DWG/DXF" but if you use a dwg template with the correct units it works fine.

Badge

You can write ObjectData with the "Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data" writer.

You can't set the Insertion Scale Units like you can in the "Autodesk AutoCAD RealDWG DWG/DXF" but if you use a dwg template with the correct units it works fine.

Thanks @nielsgerrits​, that is the writer I am using. However, what do you mind by Insertion Scale Units? I am not looking at units but at attribute values such as an Attribute Table in SHP for examples. These attributes can be access by using XDLIST command but I would like to add them to the User Properties panel as indicated by the red arrow on the above screenshot.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Thanks @nielsgerrits​, that is the writer I am using. However, what do you mind by Insertion Scale Units? I am not looking at units but at attribute values such as an Attribute Table in SHP for examples. These attributes can be access by using XDLIST command but I would like to add them to the User Properties panel as indicated by the red arrow on the above screenshot.

Don't worry about the insertion scale units. Just use the "Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data" writer, add the attributes you want to add to the User Attributes in the Writer and you will get the Object Data in the cadfile.

Badge

CaptureI've added the User Attributes; however, these attributes are not reflected as User Properties in the panel as per above picture. The only way to access them is by XDLIST command in AutoCAD. This is using the "Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data" writer.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

What version do you use? I checked in 2019 and 2021 and it just works fine?

2021-09-22_19h00_002021-09-22_19h01_28

Badge

I am using 2019, I am able to add them in the writer as per your screenshot. The problem I have is that I want them to be displayed within the User Properties (which is different to User Attributes in FME) in AutoCAD. At the moment, I can only visualize the attribution in AutoCAD File (not in FME) by running XDLIST Command... nothing is shown in the User Properties.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

I really don't get what you are looking for. To be sure, do you need the result in this screenshot or something else? The OD:Output part.

2021-09-22_19h10_30

Badge

Yes that is right. Would you mind sharing your workspace with me as I am not able to achieve it? It would allow me to know the exact parameters you're using.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Here you go :)

Badge

Amazing! Thank you so much for your help! :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Happy I could help :)